Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This initial link is supplied by Beekeeper.

WW 11 - Pipeline, this is incredible.

You may have already known of this, but I sure didn't. In spite of watching film and reading about WW II and the European theatre, I never thought to wonder how all the military vehicles were supplied with fuel. I guess I assumed that tankers brought the fuel to the mainland and then was transferred into drums (I have certainly read about the trucks moving to the front and how Patton always complained that he was slowed for the lack of fuel for his tanks.) They sure couldn't just stop at the corner station and fill up their tank or jeep gas tank. I found this film fascinating.

Click below:
http://www.youtube.com/v/Nv9lBqPVuoE%26 ... ploademail

The Brits were way ahead of the Nazis in this respect.

Not surprisingly, in light of this, Colonel Stirling , the founder of the SAS (Special Air Service), established a core of very highly trained commandos. His theory was, that it was a fruitless exercise throwing men against men, resources against resources, to win a war. He reasoned, that to defeat the enemy, you had to disrupt the supply lines (fuel; food; ammunition). That is what he did, and he was instrumental in turning around the war in northern Africa.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Air_Service

See also the White Mouse, who had similar and enormously successful ideas.... an Australian of great honour and fame. BTW, she could drink the men under the table. Good onya Nancy - RIP! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Wake

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
The pipeline was very interesting. A very quick and simple way of getting fuel in large quantities across water. I also assumed they'd have carried it over by ship and then distributed it by tanker trucks. I'm guessing they probably did use tanker trucks to distribute it in the field but the fact they had submarine pipelines is a complete surprise to me.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
incredible pipe line

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Hey salticrak, the farmer story reminds me about a conversation I had with a sugar industry guy from around your homeland somewhere. They had problems on this plantation with monkeys, of all things, and he used to go out and shoot them. While telling the story of one particular monkey which he wounded and had to hunt down to finish off he came out with something along the lines of "this monkey was lying wounded on its back and trying to crawl back away from me on its hands and heels...so human like it was a very un-nerving". I then took the conversation down the track of what he did previous to working on the sugar plantation...."I have done some military work in a past life"....and that was that. Just came to mind and thought I'd share.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.