Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

1 whopper for the day or a lot of smaller fish, which would you choose?

• WHOPPER!!!

Votes: 32 71.1%
  • Lots of smaller fish.

Votes: 13 28.9%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:twisted:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
cjbfisher said:
I'd prefer one good size fish. My aim is to provide a fresh meal for the family, and since cleaning fish sucks arse, I'd rather do it once only.
:lol: so true

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'd prefer to catch a bunch of medium sized fish. But happy to throw in a big fish once in a while. I let 80% of my fish go so i'd prefer to be catching and releasing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
After my first Bass season i've been more than happy to catch (and release) up to 15 small and average Bass each day fishing. The last 2 weeks all i've wanted was to crack the 50cm mark just once. So yep, next season i only want a BIG one thanks (each day) :lol:

·
Registered
975 Posts
Well, I'd love to catch a whopper bream - 50cm+.

Define "smaller".
Define "lots".

I reckon I'd have more fun catching a couple of dozen 30-40cm bream than the one whopper, but it's the chance of that "biggest fish ever" that keeps us coming back.

If the smaller fish are all <25cm, then I'd take the whopper any day.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
It was land based but I still have vivid memories of one day on the rocks near where I live when I was getting a fish a cast on some massive salmon that were chasing down and hitting both 65gm and 85gm slices. I couldn't lift them out of the water and I didn't want to gaff fish I wasn't going to keep so I was shaking them loose and casting again. I want a few more days like that... lots of big fish

cheers

John

·
Registered
49 Posts
I guess it depends on what i am fishing for. If i am chasing whiting or squid I would prefer lots of action and a good feed. On the other hand if I am fishing for snapper or pelagics give me the trophy fish any day.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
eagle4031 said:
Maybe some have misunderstood question
ONE whopper for the day
Or many small ones
Yep, would you trade off catching many fish for 1 big one.
I was out the other day in the tinny and caught a whopper in the first half hour then nothing after that.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Well, I voted for smaller ones, then read that it seems to be PER DAY!
If it's one per day, I'll take the whopper.
But who catches a whopper every day?????
More like twice a year at most for most of us.
In the last 4 or 5 years I've caught one whopper from the kayak, a 1m murray cod.
Yes, it sticks in the memory but if there hadn't been a lot of "smaller" fish in those years, I'd have never lasted long enough to catch the big one.
I'd love to catch a metre plus barra, but I'd rather catch a dozen 80cm ones in a day.
I'd really like to catch a metre flathead, but I'd rather get 10 at 65cm really.
I'd love to catch a 1.5m spanish mackerel, but I'd take 6 at 1.2m in preference.
The big ones may stick in the memory banks longer, but the day is a lot more fun when you are catching regularly.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
cjbfisher said:
anselmo said:
cjbfisher said:
I'd prefer one good size fish. My aim is to provide a fresh meal for the family, and since cleaning fish sucks arse, I'd rather do it once only.
Arse again? : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52730&p=646225&sid=46078825e121f67ea4e673372779475e#p646208
something you want to tells us?
Hey Nick, that wasn't my arse.
That's true, it was your hat
It was actually Soapy Boobies Dude's arse

I'm sure theres a Freudian theory as to why I thought it was your arse

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Put me down for one whopper for the year.......I mean month.....weekly.....Probably have to settle for one whopper and chips, small coke

cheers all andybear :D :D

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
When I fish I want action. Lots of it. Don't mind if its small. This is the way to get juveniles into fishing. Much fish, bugger the size. And then occasionally I'd like a PB. My PB's aren't hard to improve.

Plug me into the action bit, let the serious fisho's go for the big one.

·
Registered
141 Posts
19 out of 20 trips I'll take the action from the smaller stuff but just that one trip every 6 months or so bring on the big mother! When you have to work hard to get a fish for a few hours with nothing at all makes it feel like you really EARNED that big fish. I know that's how I felt when I got my big jewie last year.
Phil

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
My preferences would vary...
Assuming a long term average at current fishing frequency-
Kingfish: whopper
Snapper: pannies
Jewie: whopper
Flatties: pan size
Hairtail: whopper
Squid: lots of whoppers
Bream: Never

Assuming I got to fish every day, I'll take the whopper on all counts except the bream, still never ( ;-) ).

Feck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.