Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always used inox and found it great but from now on I think I'll use dielectric silicone grease: http://abcgrease.com.au/products/mp-silicone I've been snorkeling and waterproofing my quad bike recently and this stuff is meant to be the duck's nuts.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
X 3 for the dielectric grease.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it's just for your sounder then one of those permatex sachets will be enough. Squeeze some onto the male and female connections and then push them together as normal, the pins will scrape the grease away to make the connection but the grease will ooze everywhere else to form a seal against the salt, water and dirt. I'd check and reapply if needed every 6 months. The reason this stuff is good is that because it's silicon based it won't be thinned or dried out by heat, and it won't conduct electricity.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know what you mean Con. I vaguely recall it being mentioned on here before but the more I looked into it via the quad bike forums the more it seemed unthinkable that it wasn't an essential step on yaks.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
scater said:
I know what you mean Con. I vaguely recall it being mentioned on here before but the more I looked into it via the quad bike forums the more it seemed unthinkable that it wasn't an essential step on yaks.
So which quad bike forum is the best Aussie one?

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Honestly Australia's got bugger-all for my purposes. I got mine for touring, exploring and possibly a bit of hunting in the future. Oz-atv is mainly concerned with racing and the 4wd section is rarely posted in. I joined grizzly-central in the states.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
scater said:
Honestly Australia's got bugger-all for my purposes. I got mine for touring, exploring and possibly a bit of hunting in the future. Oz-atv is mainly concerned with racing and the 4wd section is rarely posted in. I joined grizzly-central in the states.
Oh, ok, that's the use I'd be interested in also, too old to be a rev-head ;)

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yep I recommend dielectric grease, I just pick up the small sachets from places like repco etc, only about 20c from memory. My old sounder died from corrosion so I went and bought a new one, and was told my a mechanic mate to use the grease. I applied it to my old one also just to try and the bloody thing has started working perfectly again. Luckily now I have a backup although I don't know if i'll need it. I though that dielectric grease was conductive and that's why it was used in car mechanics because it would protect connections from corrosion but also conduct. I tryed it on and old gps that got water logged and the connections were rusty and corroded and instantly started working again (until the connections snapped due to the damage already recieved).

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Is the grease good for a sounder that gets connected and disconnected each trip? I've been squirting Inox on the plug and socket of my lowrance for about a year and a half but I'd like it to last another two.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I disconnect and re connect my sounder every trip when I set up and pack up. I used to spray Inox but the grease lasts alot longer. I forgot once I used my new sounder and it started to corrode but then applied the grease and i've never had a problem. I just put it in the connections and over the plugs, the excess just gets pushed out, I re apply when I don't get the feeling of the pressure when I plug it in. My feeling so far is that my sounder will die from something else before it dies from corroded connections.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Word of advice disconnect your battery when not using your sounder really helps with electrolysis issues.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
cjbfisher said:
Which spray is the best for spraying on your electronic equipment?
I've had issues with WD-40 in the past, where the moulded rubber plug on the sounder has deteriorated after spraying. Don't know if it was coicidence or not.
What do you use?
Any reasons for not using a particular one?
Chris
I've had the exact same thing happen on my last lowrance. The plug went all crumbly, but because I'd used both innox & wd40 @ various times I wasn't sure which one did the damage.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd guess wd-40. It's mineral oil based. I used inox for years on my Garmin 300c without issue.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I just went into Repco Virginia (QLD) to get some sachets of the dialectric grease. They only had 2 tubes, on sale for $10, usually around $40. There is one left if anyone is interested.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.