Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrote this some time ago and now decided to share my experience.

After doing a bit of Kayak sailing in our Oasis setup with outrigger and a nice 1" Kevlar mast I started pushing the limits to see how it handled rougher water. We got through our three day trip to the pin and back with AKFF after experiencing some huge wash in the main channel so a few months later it was off to Ballina to give my brother some tips on how to rigup and sail his AI.

Now after showing him what to do and got him managing the big red beast in a fairly good breeze I figured I'd show him what not to do. Well I didn't figure that actually, well not until after I did it :lol:

As the tide started to get up there was some fairly good waves coming in from the mouth towards the bridge so I figured it was time to try out my u-bute big Adventure Rudder and see if I could handle her in the rough. I sailed in towards the bridge to where the waves where picking up and timed it just right to have a wave come in behind me. Along with a paddle boarder who was out there picking up some wave I was off, what a ride, up on the wave with the wind in my sail I was pumpin.

With no-one in the front seat the nose was high and control seamed like a breeze and I rode the wave out until it subsided in near the bridge. Being such an adrenalin pumping ride I turned her around and headed out for another run. When I was out to where the waves were building, and seeing I had good speed I figure I would time it between sets and pick up a wave after the build. I would just sail across between sets, turn the nose up river and ride the next one in.

If Kayakone is reading this he's thinking "silly boy" about now!!! and probably a lot of others!!! ;-)

Well things were going to plan, I got right into the rough between sets, had a big one coming my way, turned the nose to head in with it ... but ...not quite quick enough!!!! :oops: I started to accelarated quickly, booted right rudder and before I got the nose around far enough the side push of the wave with the help of the wind buried my right hand outrigger. I laid right out the left side as far as I could but to no avail, over she went. :shock:

Picture it, I'm upside down in a Kayak with outriggers with my mast bent and stuck in the bottom and waves smashing all over me. That was about the time I was thinking not so good thoughts about myself. Well, the mast can reach the bottom but I can't so what do I do now. As my outriggers are clip in I decided to slip one off which I did then climbed onto the other one pushing it down and rolling the Yak over myself righting it again. This all didn't happen too quickly and not on the first attemp, I was starting to feel quite stuffed and was sure glad when when the mast finally left the bottom and headed for the surface, of course the sale is pulling a full load of water all the way to the surface as well.

Well apart from my mast not quite vertical anymore and my pride rather bruised I managed to get the outrigger back on and had enough sail in the air to return to the boat ramp.

Just after I got righted and was about to climb aboard a couple of swimmers had come out to see if I needed help (don't know where the Paddle Boarder went), I thanked them and said everything was ok. One of them said "that was bloody spectecular from the beach". Well I'm glad it was entertaining because it sure was embarrassing!!

The part I was really mad about was that I had my camera mounted on the bow all day and took it off just before I went out, would have been some good footage on that little adventure. :lol:

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Great disaster story Darryl..... I love reading other people's stuff-ups (schadenfreude).

BTW, you're not the first, and won't be the last. You did well to think it through and get it upright again.

Have a gander at Matcoburn's surfing (note the wave deflector, which Mat first discovered, and quite a few have since fitted). Mat loses the heading at one stage and broaches (3.20 +). This is the danger phase .... you can flip, like you did, or fold the aka bars like a straw, as they are not designed to take the massive forces imposed on them with the ama buried and going sideways.

Maintaining the heading is critical! I'll post a similar one I did soon (lucky to get away without damage).

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=61435

Adrenalin junkies! Love it!

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

QlpoOTFBWSZTWdkC7/wAAB7fgAAQQGUACASgGAA/79/gMADNaxFT/ST1PSPSYjUHqPQCET1MSNDRoDQaADTSMVPTRNGaINDQyAT2PvejWuC6b/sa7cacUkwhbHVz770lF2ZXJdA8nm1lg0INPjWOgLX8pDEqVNO13STEx7CwkwylFLBBxFS5Hw4TeMPGGx85VaRkI9AkK/3Zwatp5YmoIj5iYTJ6E5IShbxc5klUEEIBptMRYGvRRUVBv8CkiUpAo9Pc/t4BREolV0k6iqlJCMFm00WaqznGK0xcfzZ5uqCcYCQGDAKRV0mXTSqQnAu5IpwoSGyBd/4A

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trev - I thought you would get a kick out that, bit more bouyancy in old float and I think I would have made it. That sure looked scary in th AI - like the camera setup.

Red - I was lucky in the damage department, lost about 4" off my mast and it was a bit too long for my Furler anyway so all turned out ok in the end, like I said the only damage was to my pride :D

Cheers,

·
Registered
591 Posts
Great story. Brings back some memories of my early days getting used to the idea of sailing a kayak. It's a testimony to the toughness of those AI's though!

Mate, I reckon it's about time someone else was bestowed the honour of carrying the TOW spirit forward... ;-)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.