Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dig,

I am generally opposed to wall to wall tats, particularly on women. Small, discreet and tasteful tats are okay. I don't have any, nor does my wife.

Regards

Ian

·
Registered
86 Posts
No one looks better with a tattoo, although they may think they do, and it's a trend that is difficult to reverse.

If I dressed like people did in the 60s or 70s I would look pretty stupid, or should I say (before you lot do) more stupid than I do now.

Dress code you can easily change with the times, tattoos, after the trend is over, you will look like a complete dick.

Pete

·
Registered
478 Posts
CET said:
No one looks better with a tattoo, although they may think they do, and it's a trend that is difficult to reverse.

If I dressed like people did in the 60s or 70s I would look pretty stupid, or should I say (before you lot do) more stupid than I do now.

Dress code you can easily change with the times, tattoos, after the trend is over, you will look like a complete dick.

Pete
Maybe,

But a lot of young guys are getting them. They might go out of fashion but if everyone's got them they'll be no different to pierced ears on a girl.... Or wearing a hat.

One of my employees hates tattoos but he's contemplating getting his sons name on his forearm. When I asked him why he responded with "cause everyone will know that I really love him, cause I would do that for him".

Hmm.... Yeah.... Hardcore.

For the record I don't have any tatts and don't plan on getting any, but I have no problem with people having them.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Gatesy said:
I am all for tattoos. I don't have one but would if I found the appropriate thing that is meaningful to me.

I really like the Angelina's tattoos with the coordinates of the birth place of her kids - very meaningful to her.

The other was a ferry captain who had the NESW cardinal markers tattooed on his wrist under his watch - I thought that one was really cool.
Spot on Gatesy, as long as their meaningful. I have my favourite fishing marks tattooed on my body so I don't forget them. Ever see the film Momento? They are just too important to trust a hard drive.
Helps to keep track if they are positioned on the body relative to their location.
There's Hat Head up the top. Further down there is South West Rocks, Knobby's Head and, Longy of course. There is a special place for Malabar but I need a mirror to read that mark.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Most important piece of art you would ever buy, is what I tell my kids.
Put it on a body part that you think you will be proud to show for the rest of your life and and find the best tattoo artist in the country to put it on and maybe use a designer to draw it up.
I like them if they look good, are meaningful and aren't part of a collage.

This guy must have done it because he liked the feeling.
http://www.abracadabratattoo.co.uk/gall ... ic-dragon/

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Nothing better than a glass of orange juice as someone lino prints skin off your back :shock:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Theres actualy a fair amount of skill involved in scarification that not many people are able to do.

I have a few tattoos and a few peircings, I go to work half an hour early every day and never take a sick day Just a normaly guy who looks a bit differnt.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
RekFix said:
I'm interested to know if anyone on here has ever been discriminated against or been at a disadvantage for having a tattoo?
It doesn't count if you are a New Zealander, they were using the tattoo as an excuse.

·
Registered
82 Posts
mangajack said:
Personally can't stand them.
Barely tolerate them on my kids.
You can't stand them but you do tolerate them on your kids :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RekFix said:
I'm interested to know if anyone on here has ever been discriminated against or been at a disadvantage for having a tattoo?
When I've gone in town my mates with tats showing have been not let in to nightclubs...

I don't really care much about tattoos half my mates have got them, but i don't see why people would get shitty tattoos design or a southern cross tattoo like half the scum (three blokes I've met with the southern cross tattoo) 2 were pricks and seem like scum, other one was a older fellow Nice bloke.

And you should be 18 to get a tattoo and not just get your parent approval and to sign the papers.

I myself will probably end up getting a tattoo sooner or later, main reason i hasn't I'm wasting most my money on fishing gear at the moment and don't see the need of buying a tattoo while saving for a car. And the fact my nan and mum hate tattoos

·
Registered
399 Posts
You do have to be 18, parents signing a bit of paper will allow you to get a peircing under the age of 16 but thats it. In saying that im sure it still happens wich is not a good thing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thegaff said:
You do have to be 18, parents signing a bit of paper will allow you to get a peircing under the age of 16 but thats it. In saying that im sure it still happens wich is not a good thing.
Guess i was wrong, I've alway been told all you needed is your parent/guardian permission for the papers and thought it was true because i know kids(dumb) who are under 18 with them.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Things have certainly changed when it comes to the tattoo. When I was growing up they were reserved for real hard types or alternatives. When I reached my late teens they were becoming more popular. I joined the masses and got a dragon type thing on the shoulder in my youthful stupor. Quite a few of my mates had them and it was certainly an image thing at the time. I do regret having it now as it means absolutely nothing and the wife hates it.

What I really don't get are the words and names tattoos. Fair enough if you are remembering a lost child or dearly missed relative, but why do you need to have your child's name written on your person. Are you likely to forget that you have kids? Do you need help to remember the spelling of their name or their birthdate? And if you feel the need for inspirational words or quotes written all over yourself, keep a journal or put it in your sig on AKFF.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
scoman said:
Things have certainly changed when it comes to the tattoo. When I was growing up they were reserved for real hard types or alternatives. When I reached my late teens they were becoming more popular. I joined the masses and got a dragon type thing on the shoulder in my youthful stupor. Quite a few of my mates had them and it was certainly an image thing at the time. I do regret having it now as it means absolutely nothing and the wife hates it.

What I really don't get are the words and names tattoos. Fair enough if you are remembering a lost child or dearly missed relative, but why do you need to have your child's name written on your person. Are you likely to forget that you have kids? Do you need help to remember the spelling of their name or their birthdate? And if you feel the need for inspirational words or quotes written all over yourself, keep a journal or put it in your sig on AKFF.
I've got my family name,because I'm proud of who I am and where I'm from,I'm also getting my children's names and a picture they drew for me not because they passed away because I'm proud of them and proud to be there father.
Maybe you should talk to your wife and get your tattoo turned into something that has meaning,you never know,there is some every good artists around now.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
scoman said:
Roy Keanes wife: Why do you have our 4 children's names tattooed on your chest but not mine?

Roy Keanes: They'll always be my kids, you might not always be my wife

Charmer

·
Registered
581 Posts
Each to there own.

I got my first one at 17 back in 1995, I wasn't a rebel or alternative, I just loved the art and the process, however I haven't gotten another since I was 21, not because I don't won't more, just because I have other more important things to spend my money on. I have both the tops of my arms done, and the whole back so no where that anyone can see but myself, unless I want them to.

I think most people on here are correct about today's culture. I am nearly ashamed to have tattoos now, just because they seem to have lost all meaning. I am a Branch Manager at a mining company, and the amount of apprentices that get the lower sleeve done first, just so other people can see how "cool" they are is ridiculous. You ask them why and 9/10 people can't give you a reason other then it's the thing to do, they don't acutally understand what they have done.

Anyway, I will get my family's names on me oneday, when I stop buying yaks and fishing gear that is. :lol:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.