Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you in the area, the butcher near Sandgate high school in Brisbane always has excellent bacon ! :D

FWIW, I am in no way associated with said butcher, just a satisfied customer.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Man, I'd just about kill for some good aussie bacon!
They cut the eye off the bacon here so all you get is the fatty strip. And then they cut the rind off as well. and then they cuty it 0.1mm thick.
I'm actually planning on making my own we're getting that desperate!
Sarah found some the other day that was OK (irish bacon). It was just $90/kg.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm an advocate for Salms (Camp Hill / Carindale). Him and his wife know the kids by name (customer service not bacon) and he smokes his own bacon. Taking it to the show this year apparently - hoping for some bacon love I expect.

Oh and the ham.....Just as good. Oh and his hocks for pea and ham soup. Oh the hocks. Are they hocks? Those bacon bone thingos....Yeah those. :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Bugger me, I thought it was just me and maybe a diminished sense of smell and/or taste. Also palmeson (spelling?) has no aroma. I miss the smell of vomit while I'm eating pasta.

Pete

·
Registered
526 Posts
Find a local butcher, ask them where they source there meat from, and if they can't tell you, walk out and find another who does. The good butchers are curing there own meat, and its much much better. Its the same with corned meat. The mass produced stuff from Coles or Woolies is okay with a heap of tomato sauce or mustard pickles, but find a butcher who brines there own and the difference in flavour is huge.
Its a bit harder to make a couple of stops at the butcher and greengrocer, especially if they are away from the major shopping spots, but to me the quality of produce the small blokes stock is worlds in front.
And for what its worth, Billys in Ashgrove and the Milton butchers are hard to beat with service and quality. As is Schulte's at plainlands, especially there small goods, and if anyone is travelling through Monto pull in and grab some sausages from the local bloke there, other than home made they are the best around.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
I can't say that I've noticed a lack of flavour with bacon, not say that it hasn't been tasteless, I just haven't noticed it if it is sometimes.

What I do notice with bacon sometimes is that some batches of it have a real strong piggy taste, like they've found a cheap mob of stinky old un-castrated boars and turned them into bacon. I really hate that, it turns me right off anything pork!

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Barrabundy said:
I can't say that I've noticed a lack of flavour with bacon, not say that it hasn't been tasteless, I just haven't noticed it if it is sometimes.

What I do notice with bacon sometimes is that some batches of it have a real strong piggy taste, like they've found a cheap mob of stinky old un-castrated boars and turned them into bacon. I really hate that, it turns me right off anything pork!
I've been told you are not allowed to castrate boars anymore.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Junglefisher said:
Barrabundy said:

I'm not sure if thats a complete black and white rule, but from what I can understand most of the pigs sent to market aren't at sexual maturity, which may also explain the lack of flavour, much in the same way that veal and lamb aren't quite as strong in flavor.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
If you went to Mickey D's for breakfast you'd be assured of getting exactly the same tasting bacon every single day of the year...whether it was tasty or not.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Junglefisher said:
Wow, wasn't aware of that, for animal welfare reasons I guess? I wonder if you can still buy those pocket knives which bore the model designation "castrator"?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Bought some 'organic' bacon from the deli at woolies this week. Cost a few extra $$ a kilo, but it has been spectacular.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
There are 2 independent butchers in town, both of them have some of their own beef thy slaughter (along with carcasses they buy in), one of them definitely makes his own bacon, hams, beer sticks, should give him a go I guess but we don't eat too muh bacon these days.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Digger said:
Barrabundy said:
There are 2 independent butchers in town, both of them have some of their own beef thy slaughter (along with carcasses they buy in), one of them definitely makes his own bacon, hams, beer sticks, should give him a go I guess but we don't eat too muh bacon these days.
I have trouble defining "too much"!
Yeah I know, can never have too much bacon. Problem is the mrs and I were both getting fat and lazy and having tooooo much bacon wasn't helping.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Mrs Schofield has been reading some diet books that say Bacon and eggs don't make you fat!!

I like these books

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
scoman said:
Mrs Schofield has been reading some diet books that say Bacon and eggs don't make you fat!!

I like these books
I know, it's the lack of physical activity that makes you fat, especially if you combine it with eating bacon.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Is the Ham Factory still in operation at Geebung?? We used to buy bacon and ham from there in the 80's.
Lately I have been enjoying my local IGA's deli bacon, nice thick flavoursome rashers.
Any of the prepackaged bacon is crap though.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.