Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yay the flu is here. Expecting to wake up in the morning lying in an expanding pool of snot.
Why does my nose produce snot when it just lets it dribble out the end? Surely if my nose makes it it must be good for something? If it's good for something why does my nose feel the need to let it all go? If I can just figure out what good it does the I could make a fortune.
Current drip rate is about every 5 seconds so at 12 drops to the minute I'm producing about 1ml a minute. That's 60ml an hour. So in 17hours who wants to buy a litre of snot? It's got to be good for something?

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

QlpoOTFBWSZTWaCdOHgAACjfgAAQUIWACqQwGAo/7/+gMAD1qREwSbKRpjQ0RpoA0EU9JsSDQAAGhoAlU8gmk8KMjCADEaUmCoDeDsHDLiRFD9mnak88N6wREJS2A42jEICcjWSQHFUqxzOvwNj7ezZaYU656oGvNpXlW/k0tQbBD8cAanXsaNgK5pfDTYZOzFgyeGfhiWvN8qSpGKg2qYalK0oM4EA30It+WzVRjuyQGoLnyVWy74mE4zEbsEWaI9Vi8LkuLCRjYDyUZnFt7ZGdVcKedX0SCvEtTVcd0cuVLAo4TmwjOt3BIuX65WDiuqeCisb+XLYaaMDtBBfRTgTB/F3JFOFCQoJ04eA=

G

·
Its a good excuse to whip up a batch of chicken soup with at least four hot chilies and loads of fresh garlick & ginger.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
RedPhoenix said:
AJD said:
It's got to be good for something?
Ahh, snot and phlegm; the bodys way of getting rid of white blood cells that have managed to encapsulate some sort of nasty foreign body inside your system.

Sucks when you have rivers of green flowing, Al; but at least it does mean that your immune system is working.

Red.
indeed red, the nose and sinuses produce the stuff to 'trap" bugs and allergens .
tiny little hair cells you cant see (which look like a sea anenome) push it towards the nearest exit, out the nose, back of the throat, up from the bottom of the lungs. its usually going to the stomach where the acid kills the bugs.

you can take antihistamines al, which just turn off the production a tad. the best is still pseudephidrine (sudafed) but as over 50 % of this tablets ends up in meth labs , you normally need a script and need to be recorded on a drug reguster to get it.
the newer , non drowsy ones dont work nearly so well.

the nasal sprays like drixine are a no no. they cause a very violent suppression of the nasal glands and after a week of use the nasal glands "over react' and you get a nasty , medication induced , rhinnitits medicamentosa , or doctor caused runny nose.

i still think the old fashioned steel bowl (not bowel :) ) with boiling water and a few drops of eucalyptus, pine, mentol or firars balsum works well.
put your head over it with a warm towel and breath away.

if your sinuses get completely glued, you can have a sinus washout with a small probe up the nose driven through the sinus wall and hot salty water siphoned in. personally, i think ent surgeons reserve this for people who dont pay their bills.

oh ,as an interesting aside, small allergens can travel a long way on the wind. the wheat harvesting done a couple of hundered kilometres west of brisbane causes some proven hay fever in brisbane in winter. especially with our westerly winds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.