Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all so im looking at buying a gopro camera to take kayak fishing ive looked at them for a while now and did some research on them now i know the black has the best specs, more megapixels, and faster fps etc. but i can really only find them for almost 400.00 and along my internet shopping travels have came across gopro silver ( middle range) for 150.00 which is cheap as there about 300.00 in the shops. so im asking around to anyone that can help me here basically i just want to film fishing,underwater footage talking about kayaking,gear spots etc.so is the black gopro really that much better and worth the extra 250.00 or will i be happy and get enough performance out of the silver? thats pretty much all i need to know thanks guys :)

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'm no expert on them at all but I've heard that if you have the black set to highest spec filming you only get about 30mins. Battery spec is the same from old ones but chews through it faster now. I wouldn't bother with the black, also if you have an iphone or something like that I think you can get an app that will work as the remote that the black edition comes with. I've been happy with the bits of footage I've gotten and mine is an old 960 hero. Not one of the full hd versions.
I don't film much in low light though also

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Yeah battery consumption depends on the rate of data being recorded, so high framerates and high resolutions consume the battery faster, that goes for the Hero 2 as well. Don't know if the new cameras are different with power consumption but recording at 30 fps in 720p with one battery will last two hours. 60 fps and you'll get about an hour.

·
Registered
124 Posts
To confuse you further look up Contour / ION / Sony equivalents. I know the Sony is well specced but like the GoPro needs a casing to make it work near or under water. I have a Contour and its rated to 1m without any specific casing. Good point about the low light differences too. I only use mine on snow so its not a consideration.

I know my Contour is streaks ahead in terms of battery draw. It'll take a good few hours of footage before failing. Other friends have GoPros and they usually stow it before lunch while mine goes through to the afternoon.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Been using the AEE Magicam now for a while can't fault it, 8Mp remote control,LCD screen and extra battery pack $199 but are often on special for $149.
Did a review on here.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59875&hilit=aee
But if you can buy GoPro silver 3 for $150 that's pretty good you'll just have too buy the extras separate

G

·
I have the GP3white and am more than happy with the quality of the footage. Silvers for $150 is cheap just buy the battery back pack and you should get around 3-4 hrs of footage out of it depending on the settings. If you get the Wi-Fi remote then you can get even longer again and still have $100 spare from the black ed. I run mine on 960p, unless you are wanting to make vids to watch on your tv then the HD will just suck your battery, memory card and take a ages to load.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cool thanks guys a little help there nice lizard btw bildad very nice :) looks like nice clear footage as well! the gopro sounds good just ill have to buy 2 battery's and run it on 960p i think that sounds like a good go ill check out the aee magicam to!! cant hurt looks like it does the job easy! how many hours you get out of it and do you run it at 960p?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
hobiehead said:
cool thanks guys a little help there nice lizard btw bildad very nice :) looks like nice clear footage as well! the gopro sounds good just ill have to buy 2 battery's and run it on 960p i think that sounds like a good go ill check out the aee magicam to!! cant hurt looks like it does the job easy! how many hours you get out of it and do you run it at 960p?
With the Xtra battery pack that piggy backs on the camera I run at 1080P and get just over 4hours recording time.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks guys but its got to be able to go under water as i want to do some under water filming as well even tho i think the i phone belongs in the water ;) haha cheers tho :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.