Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like other peoples opinions have pair wet suit pants (keep my legs sufficiently warm) & will soon be getting the matching top wondering how warm the top will be in winter through the night (sydney area)would like to hear if people think the insulation provided will be sufficient or if wearing additional clothing underneath/over the top is the go ?.

Thanks

Nigel

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Depends how you fish? I use a 3mm long suit here (Qld) and it probably isn't as cold as where you are but if I am sitting still the cold definitely gets through. If I start paddling i.e. trolling then the insulated layer heats my core up quickly keeping me warm, so would suggest for cooler nights of bait fishing for example, then extra layers over would be beneficial. We all feel the cold differently though, so would suggest experimenting to see where your comfort zone is. Because, personally if I was to go out locally here at night I would definitely be looking for extra layers over my wettie.

Kev

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Nigel if you're not planning to get drenched ie surf launch then you might want to look at layering up with thermals. At the moment I've settled on a combo that should help keep me warm if I do go turtle and that's: 1mm neoprene vest, polypropylene long sleeve thermal top, rashie, water/windproof kokotat kayaking top with the wrist and neck rubber closures as the outermost layeer. Knee high sealskin socks, sharkskin pants and neoprene booties on the bottom. Beanie and brimmed legionnaire-style high vis hat on my head. Fingerless gloves on the hands. If it's raining a pair of waterproof overpants. If it's raining at night a light hooded musto sailing jacket instead of the kokotat top. Others swear by the kokotat dry pants with the integral socks and I think I might try those this season once the water temp drops out there (it's still 20 degrees).

With the neoprene I find a top with any sort of sleeve is not as comfortable as the sleeveless vest while paddling, it's kind of tight under the armpit.

Layering up means you can strip some top layers off if you're overheating. I worry about being hampered if I had to swim with the overpants and musto jacket so I only use those in very calm bay waters and always wear a lifejacket. I can swim fine with the kokotat kayaking top and the neoprene boots/sharkskins. If I'm offshore and it's raining I don't use the overpants as the sharkskins seem to stay warm even though they let the water through and there's a higher chance of needing to be able to swim well than in the bay.

Another great top combination if you want to keep it simple is 2 layers of polypropylene thermals then one woollen thermal and the kokotat top over that, very toasty. Oh and I mean the thin thermals, not the thick ones, they feel too restrictive and I tend to overheat too much.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Search "Cycling Deal" then search their wind proof and water proof cycling jackets. One base layer under that and you will be toasty warm regardless of the conditions. Plus they are very comfy too.
Note: get the next size up from your normal size.....cyclists are scrawny runts usually.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I recently bought a dry suit which is absolutely brilliant. Put as many clothes on as you like and stay warm and dry. Like a gore tex material all the way to your toes. I fish almost daily on Kangaroo Island which is about your latitude and never get cold. Cost me just over $300 and it is probably the best $300 I have ever spent as I can keep fihing through winter!

·
Registered
190 Posts
i used to use them as waders when i was wadering in the water as land based fisho the wet suit is designed to get wet and be submerged in water if the wetsuit is dry you will swet in the wetsuit i used to swet when wadering s i dont recomend the wetsuits you may want to go to whitworths and look at some sail gear or you local camping store i found sailing gear products very good but a bit pricey .

·
Registered
588 Posts
smigel said:
Would like other peoples opinions have pair wet suit pants (keep my legs sufficiently warm) & will soon be getting the matching top wondering how warm the top will be in winter through the night
I know the weather is a bit cooler down here in Vic but I use to use a 3 mm long john kayak suit with booties and they realy arn't warm enough for night time here in winter my feet were always cold even though the day light hours
the water temps get down to 10 deg in Westernport the night air and wind chill isn't that frendly ether

I now have a set of custom made neoprene cheast waders with a fly zip fitted ( some dont like waders but they are warm ) under them I just use a pair of track pants and if realy cold a set of thermals under them
of cause I wear a wading belt , spay jacket and PFD

I had a small leak in the waders at one stage and my trackies got quite wet inside the waders I didn't realy notice till I was on shore and removed the waders even wet inside it was warmer than the 3 mm wet suit ever was

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.