Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following on from my thread about a new computer... The computer is now up and running. Full HD screen is a wonder to be amazed about. It sure makes the old one look all pixelated!! Mingle's Cape Woolamai report looks sensational. But I digress.

Sooo. I'm now after some editing software. I don't have a mac so that's out of the question. Any suggestions of a cheap/free editing program for windows? Want to edit Gopro footage and it needs to be fairly simple.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
They were both Linux based I think. Already checked them out. I may be wrong but I don't think they are going to work on Windows. Happy to stand corrected though.

Surfanfish suggested Trakax but before I bit the bullet I wanted to check what else is out there.

Ended with Dell Inspiron 15R Special Edition

Inspiron 15R Special Edition Laptop 3rd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3632QM processor (6M Cache, up to 3.2 GHz)
8GB 2 DIMM (4GB x 2) DDR3 1600Mhz
1.0TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Windows 7 Professiornal, English (64bit edition)
Blu-ray combo Tray Load DVD+/-R
Internal 10/100/1000 Fast Ethernet
AMD Radeon(TM) HD 7730M DDR3 2GB
Skullcandy Speakers with Waves MaxxAudio(R) 4 processing
6-cell Lithium Ion (48WHr) Battery
Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230, 802.11b/g/n + Bluetooth v4.0
15.6" HD WLED True-Life (1920x1080)
1 Year Warranty

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I use the previous version of this: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiope

It's pretty easy to just put clips down and add titles but if you want to really directly control everything it lets you; I wasn't expecting that at that price. The demo lasted for a month and didn't bar me from using any part of it.

When I asked support a question they got back to me pretty quick. I might be able to answer some questions on it too.

Whatever you get, one thing that helps with editing 3-4 hours of gopro footage is to play it back in the fastest media player you have handy (I use VLC or MPC but anything that loads fast and lets you skip around quick is fine), skip through it 30s/ a minute at a time and note down the times, file name and a short descriptive note when you find footage you want to include.

edit: like this
0223116 <--part of a gopro video file name that'll let me find it in the editing software
0:17
nary a tug

15:09
shrimpin boats

10:52
rainy jetty

30:06
Dolphins, boat

44:55
Dolphin on line

The dolphin didn't get hooked btw

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Bertros said:
Another vote here for Trakax - it's simple enough to do most things you could ask of it without the complexity of some of the more powerful (read: expensive) options out there. You should also be able to download a trial version and try unhindered for the first 30 days. Windows Movie Maker just lead to tears with my GoPro videos.
My tears continue and I watch this thread with great interest.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
A big thumbs up for the AVS suite of tools. I have been using them for about four years now. They have a tool to do everything. I used to have problems with it crashing but then discovered if I dont try to add a dozen four gb files and try to make a movie all at once it runs beautifully. I use their Video Remaker tool to chop out the scenes I want before I fire up the editor. The sound editor lets you rip music off movies and any other medium.
Easy to use, a suite of youtube howto videos and at $69 for the whole suite of tools and all subsequent upgrades, for the life of the puter, I reckon its a bargain.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just tried to download Trakax and it is telling me that the .exe file is not a valid Win32 application... ???

Edit. Re-downloaded and now it is working fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.