Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for a fish on wednesday chasing a few squid and whiting. Got up early to a thick frost then arrived at the beach at first light. Got 3 squid on the first drift then as the sun got up and the boat traffic picked up they went off the bite. I got one small whiting later in the morning but thats all. Anyhow it was a nice day on the water, had fun and hopefully not as long before I get out again.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yeah mingle that shot was taken with your obligatory cleeland bight launch photos in mind. I was going to say something about having a lone paddle boarder to see me off but I thought that might be seen as plagerism.
I have thought of putting a live one down for a kingy but at this time of year with my track record I would end up trading good calamari rings for a salmon.

·
Registered
588 Posts
davo79 said:
I have thought of putting a live one down for a kingy but at this time of year with my track record I would end up trading good calamari rings for a salmon.
your right on those salmon - the damm things are thinker than toads atm , they strip gummy baits pretty fast as well
I haven't been to flinders for a while there should be some larger squid around with the cooler water

did you just jig or drop a baited spike out under a float - I have caught all my larger squid on bait both fliders and around mingle country on the east side of the port

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Cheater yeah I caught good sized squid and one small squid. All were caught on imitation yo zuti squid jigs that i picked up in the $2 bargain bin. I dont use expensive jigs here as I prefer to fish with light fc leaders and the weed down there claims too many of my jigs anyway.
I did think about using the whiting on a spike but the wife would have killed me as she loves whiting but wont eat calamari.

·
Registered
588 Posts
davo79 said:
I did think about using the whiting on a spike but the wife would have killed me as she loves whiting but wont eat calamari.
grass whiting are just as good and there are plenty around finders - grassies arn't to good to eat but the squid like them

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheaterparts said:
davo79 said:
grass whiting are just as good and there are plenty around finders - grassies arn't to good to eat but the squid like them
Over last chrissy holidays I caught what would have probably been my biggest squid on a grassy down at walkerville. Didnt get a measure but it probably would have given your 40 cm hood pb a run for its money. ;-)
Ps I just read your report from weekend and I gotta love being able to adjust my work schedule occasionally around the weather forecasts.

·
Registered
588 Posts
davo79 said:
Ps I just read your report from weekend and I gotta love being able to adjust my work schedule occasionally around the weather forecasts.
has to be pretty bad though for me not to get out for a paddle some time over each W/E but its a pain when the mid week has been so good and the W/Es crack up

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cheaterparts said:
has to be pretty bad though for me not to get out for a paddle some time over each W/E but its a pain when the mid week has been so good and the W/Es crack up
My weekends are mostly full of kids sports etc, so I almost have to take time off work for fishing. As I live about an hour from the coast its not just a case of going after work :(
I would love to go chasing some gummies in the shallow end of the mud pond. As my kayak is not ideal for long distances is there many places suitable out there for me to chase them?
Advice please.

·
Registered
588 Posts
davo79 said:
I would love to go chasing some gummies in the shallow end of the mud pond. As my kayak is not ideal for long distances is there many places suitable out there for me to chase them?
Advice please.
Yes you can find them quite close to the launch in some places - wait till the water warms a bit though then you can get a bit by catch as well
like snapper in under 1.8 meters of water and quite offen with in 350 meters from shore

the eagle rays also turn up with warmer water just to give you a work out with your little yak

but then lets face it you can get gummies right along the flinders side of the port as well

Pt Leo is also good for them - launch off the beach thats under the caravan park theres very little swell there not like the surf beach around the other side of the point
there are good whiting grounds only a couple of hundre meters out and we have caught gummies there

Guys pick up gummies off the beach at Balnarring so how much easier is it to get out in the yak

I dont think there is a place in WP where you can't get a gummy it's always worth putting a big bait no matter where you fish
it dosen't have to be deep ether

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.