Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm in my final days of my US visit. It has been a week and a half since I was out, but have a moment to quick type up the best time on the water of my time here.

I was in northern Minnesota to catch up with some friends and one of them knows I love a great time on the water. He has become known as a bit of a local fishing legend and made several comments about buying a new vehicle as everyone knows what his looks like as they keep an eye out for it to fish where he fishes.

The lay of the land in this area is very unique as it is the edge of where giant glaciers came to rest, what that means is there are some massive lakes and heaps of smaller lakes. Many of the smaller lakes could be 1000 sq metres and even be 10-12 metres deep making sure the lake doesn't freeze completely during the winter allowing fish to continue to flourish. Even today during big snow melts the area can flood and fish can move from one small lake to another.

My friend had a plan of where to hit and made sure I knew that we'd get plenty muddy and wet in order to fish one of his best spots. This was the plan... We would go out on his canoe to a little slough. A small little lake that looks more like an untouched pond surrounded by reeds and a floating bog. As soon as we arrived we had to do a fire drill of taking the canoe off the top and then throw all our equipment into it. I was then to walk it down by some trees as he moved his car further down the road and ran back to me to launch. When we were on the water we were to lay our rods down out of sight so no one could see we were fishing.

After a bit of walking over the boggy bit we finally get to the open water area and launch. Again the size of this place was small, we could paddle across it in just a couple minutes. At first the fishing was slow but it heated up quickly as we figure out the northern pike were hitting the red and white spoons. We were using light gear as I only had 10lb mono line and a short wire leader. We were getting one about every four or five casts. My mate had a really nice one on and then we heard the sound of a car so he put his rod down. As he did so the fish did a run and the line caught a joint in the canoe and cut it. Sad to see a nice fish not be pulled in to measure. Northerns also have a BIG difference in their fighting style once they reach a larger size which is really strange. The small ones run very hard and are very active even breaking the surface on occasion. The big ones feel like you've snagged the bottom and offer strong powerful runs as you get them close to the boat.

It was a great 2 1/2 hours on the water with over 25 fish caught. We took five home for a bit of a cook up as many of his family were in town for his brother's wedding reception. The legal limit is three per person with only one over 30 inches. The largest was 76cm and around 8-9 lbs. My longest went 75cm (29.5 inches). The largest he has pulled out of this little slough was a northern weighing 17lb and 106cm long. My mate was a bit sad that we didn't land any bigger ones as he almost never has a session at this spot without catching a 10lb northern. He definitely changed my perspective on where to fish and how to do it when trying to find the big ones in Minnesota.

bigPike.JPG

5pike.JPG

Due to the nature of a secret spot the only photos I can show are of the fish once we got back to his place.

I'll attach a couple lake photos from another lake I fished so you can see the general scenery of the area.

mnlake.jpg

mnlake2.jpg

-Kris

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Great to see fishing from another part of the world. Some quality fish there.

Cheers Scotty

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Awesome pike! Can't wait to catch a big one.
Nice Sloo's too. Do they call them Sloo's? Also a name for a slutty woman apparently.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.