Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A late report from Thursday last week. After landing my first tuna a few weeks ago at Halls reef at Noosa with a few guys from noosayakkers and another one at Hancock shoal off Peregian I was keen to get out again. There has been no swell and light offshores, perfect conditions to get out. After reading the article Paulo wrote on live baiting for pelagics I was keen to give this a shot and grabbed a few bait jigs, 6/0 ssw circle hooks and zip ties to rig some livies. Just out the front of my place at point danger is point reef where the charter boats stop to jig up livies for the day before heading out wider. I headed here on first light and got a few slimies and yakkas and chucked em in the bucket. I started trolling round and didnt get a touch, a boat near me got a decent mack tuna but that was it. At about 7am I decided to head in and get ready for work. Trolling a good sized yakka back to the tweed river I got slammed but something big on my heavvy outfit about 100mtrs from the Dbah wall. I only had a fairly light drag set and it took a ton of line, even after i tightened the drag. Giving chase (hobie) to regain line i thought it could have been a Spanish (wishful thinking). It kept me guessing as it stayed out wide from the yak and not deep like the other tuna I had caught. By this time it had dragged me a 7-800 mtrs from where I got the hit.

It was at this stage I saw a guy on an AI coming towards me, but it looked like he wasnt fishing. Eventually the fight brought me right to the guy on the AI who turned out to be Channon, who was on the home stretch of an awesome trip from Wollongong to the Sunny Coast on his AI, check his website and trip here - (http://south2sunny.com.au/). Channon was a top guy and started filming the end of the fight from his iphone. After a big of tug of war I tightened up the drag a heap to bring it up, I had to get home for work. I saw colour and realised it was a tuna, a big one. After a few more minutes it came up beside the yak, I was shytting myself about how I was going to get it in with no gaff. In the end I grabbed the beast by the tail and chucked it on my lap, Channon posted some footage on his facebook page if you want to see, facebook.com/south2sunny. It played nice and didnt go too crazy, but you could feel the power in it. I let out a big hoot and chucked it on the the back deck of the outback and hightailed it in the river against the tide to work.. stoked as. It measured dead on 120cm or 116cm to the fork.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Good fish Paulos. I think thats the biggest LT Ive seen this season so far.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Thats a good solid fish mate ,they been really scarce here so maybe things are looking up well done on the Tuna

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it was 120cm. A much bigger first run than the 90cm ones on the sunny coast but it didn't slog it out down deep for long.. Or maybe I went harder knowing I would have a good hook up on the circle hooks opposed to the hardbody I got the others on. You could really tell the difference in the tail wrist,much thicker.

Cheers to Paulo for the thread. For the other lurkers out there, I got it on a ugly stick gold 6'6 8-10kg rod and 760 penn live liner with 30lb mono. Went well for under $200.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Ripper tuna Paul for so early in the season. That would have to go 15 kgs...did you check?

Safa said:
That's a good solid fish mate ,they been really scarce here so maybe things are looking up well done on the Tuna
You don't need any more fish Clive. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.