Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I went for a late session on Sunday afternoon ( viewtopic.php?f=3&t=61807 ) and couldn't find a legal flathead for dinner. The smallest was 33cm and most were 35cm - NSW legal is 36cm. The most interesting thing to me was the way they were schooled up as it took me time to find them but when I did they were coming in thick and fast.

We are told that some fish are slow growing and some grow fast and we take it as read because we are told by people that "know" these things. Someone recently told me that if you find a patch of undersize flathead, wait a fortnight and go back and try again. Well, I didn't wait a fortnight but went back after a pause of only 6 days on Saturday afternoon for another late session trying to get in a short session during a break in the weather.

Due to the lack of time I made my way quickly to the same area I had found the fish the previous week and began a pattern of casts to see if the fish were still in the same area. The first fish was about 80 meters away from last weeks congregation and measured 37cms, the second was close by, at 36cm, and then in the same channel as before I picked up more fish at 37 and 38cms with one runt at 35cms.

The fish were not schooled up as tightly as they had been on Sunday afternoon and I had to work pretty hard to get the ones I caught and with the extra bit of size it seems that they have begun to disperse a bit wider into the system but I found it interesting to see first hand the rapid growth rate in such a short period of time.

As I was starting to cast a storm started to brew and I thought I was going to make a bolt back to the truck but it tracked around me and stayed just wide of where I was leaving me a a small pool of sunshine and when I was driving home I followed the storm all the way on wet roads and the child bride was surprised when I got home warm and dry. All in all it was short and sweet but at least I managed to get outside for the afternoon. 4 flatties were kind enough to accept a dinner invitation and with flathead tails currently selling for $55 a kilo I reckon we will be eating like kings...

cheers

John

·
Registered
291 Posts
$55 a kg. WHAT!!!!!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
captaincoochin said:
$55 a kg. WHAT!!!!!
I wouldn't be paying that but it's the listed price locally... Most people would buy a tail per person being fed there wouldn't be too much weight and the price wouldn't seem too bad...

cheers

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.