Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
For the first time in a few outings the child bride came out with me to see what was new up at Bumbo. Fish wise I could have picked a better day for her but the paddle and the orchids by the water were both pretty nice.

At Tuross I normally poke around in the backwaters and don't have a lot of contact with other watercraft so this trip was a bit of an eyeopener. The small stretch of river between the bridge and the Bumbo creek was quite crowded and there were also some illegal campers with set lines at the junction. On the way up I was able to get a couple of shots of the little native orchids and each time I see these delicate little flowers I wish I had a waterproof camera with the capabilities of my digital SLR and its big zoom lenses.

DSCF2533 (Small).JPG

This is one of the few places we go that lacks a "beach" somewhere to pull off the water for coffee but we managed to do a mud crawl onto a flat area where there are a lot more orchids but it is in a section of quite dark under growth and therefore not very photogenic.

We saw a lot of fish with mullet swimming in schools and there was a lot of their behavior which suggested that there were also predatory fish as well. In Bumbo lake I disturbed a lot of flathead as I paddled in the shallow water but was unable to find any of them with a lure or a bait. I tried casting ahead with plastics, hard bodies, vibes and baits but as I drifted forward over the areas I had been fishing I kept seeing big swirls in the mud as fish took of at the approach of the kayak. I returned to where the creek flowed out of the lake and dropped a bait and kept working lures and although I did have a couple of strikes I came up empty, including when I pulled up the anchor and the shackle had worked loose leaving the anchor on the bottom in the murky water. Insert sad face here...

When we left the lake area we headed back towards the river and when we reached the junction I was thinking to myself that I didn't like the taste of the doughnut but as I hit the river I cast the vibe upstream and the lure was taken even before it had had a chance to sink. Vibes cast a long way with light gear so I had a nice little bend in the rod for a few moments and was a bit surprised to find I had pulled a flathead from the top water and after a quick measure it went into the keeper net as we had planned on a feed of fish. I kept fishing for a while but with boats running up and down the fish were remaining quiet. I took of for a quick troll along the edge and also flicked a bait out to the side as I started to paddle and as the bait began to pull in behind the yak the bait was hit by another flattie that turned out to be a perfect match for the first fish... The fishing was slow but it was still a nice day out and ended up with dinner for two so I have no grounds for complaint...

DSCF2540 (Small).JPG

cheers

John

Attachments

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
suehobieadventure said:
Nice day out. Bad luck about the anchor, best thing about kayak anchors they don't cost too much. Would love to see flatties in the numbers you get up there.
I'll swap you a good day on the flatties for a good day on the snapper...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.