Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gents,

Just wondering if anyone could give me a few tips as to what would be a suitable trolling lure for cruising along Redcliffe area?

I don't have a sounder yet but will probably paddle 500m - 1000m offshore.

I had a quick blast last week with a 50mm Tsunami pro (Bream) hard body lure and managed a snag a under size Tailor, what a great feeling :D

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Toffeeboy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Spork,

Sorry for the pretty vague question! I would be very content to catch Flathead, Bream, Jewfish, Tailor, Threadie, even a snapper would be great.

Is there a hard body or soft plastic that is pretty versatile and would be attractive to a number of fish?

I am new to fishing in Oz, I've lived here for 11 years and often talk about taking up fishing but am finally doing it.

I'm originally from Ireland were I was into freshwater fishing, I've never used soft plastics before or done much saltwater fishing so any help would be a great start.

Cheers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Potty ,

I managed to pick up decent Tailor a few weeks back on a trolling a deep diving minnow! I don't get out as often as I would like - 3 little kids take up most of my spare time. That's a cracking sized Whiting you've caught, do you have much success with the poppers?

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Toffeeboy

Jon's link to Beekeeper's exploits is the way to go - he is Top Cat at Scarby (also Turtle Catcher :lol: ). Note he has a SP on the bottom, drifting, and another higher up. Others use SP's by casting and retrieving, with various techniques or flicking and jerking them, for some very good snapper at times, and some bream, flatties and tailor. Tuna are also occasionally taken there on SP's.

I troll HB's for hours down there every week, and sometimes get a few fish, as does Beekeeper (Jimbo) when he paddles upwind to start a new drift. You can get tailor, jewies, snapper, pike, and bream on HB's. Use lures that dives to about 2 - 4 metres (max depth is about 6 metres, with some of the reef being out of the water at low tide). It is a good idea to go for a big paddle there around the time of the low tides of about 0.3 metre or less (around the time of a full or new moon). This will let you see the numerous lure stealing reefs. There a few hundred dollars worth of lures on those reefs. :shock:

You can also troll a paddle tail SP (white) for some good fish at times. Use a 4 " ZMan in pearl or glimmer, on a 3/8 to 1/2 oz TT 3/0 XH jighead. If a tuna grabs it you will know....you'll be de-spooled in 10 seconds!

See you down there soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kayakone,

Thanks for tips, I think you've hit the nail on the head, I need to have a few decent paddles at low tide to gauge the depth, areas of reef and markers etc.

Then I think it will be time to invested in a few Zman's and a few deep diving HB's and get my ass out there and get amongst it.

With a bit of luck I might hook into something for a bit of fun and possibly a feed, thanks again for the info and hopefully I bump into some of guys out on the water.

Cheers Gareth - Toffeeboy

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Glad to help Gareth - just passing on what Beekeeper (Jimbo) shared with me nearly 3 years ago.

·
Registered
11 Posts
sorry i havent been on for a while yeah i do get some decent fish at high speed estuary trolls on poppers things like flaty jacks tavally whiting and the odd flaty
but fishing with them outside changes the game you have to use bigger sizes around feeding freenzy 's and reefs for ....well a heep of fish will take them
make sure they are splashing all over the place for good results ;-) ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.