Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sick of getting trebles caught up on me, net, kayack, line (when casting), weed and even the poor old fish sometimes :D
Am wondering how succesful others find using single's hooks instead of trebles ?
Q. Do you use them ?
Q. Any reduction in catch rate ?
Q. One single at rear, or at each point ?
Q. Size of single relative to treble ?
Q. What type/style of hook works best ?
Would welcome any comments b4 I buy new split ring pliers :D
Cheers,
Rod

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Hook types will depend on what size of lures you are using. At the smaller end there are specific lure hooks available (with no offset & bigger eye). I use them on a few and have had no problems at all and snag myself less often.
At the larger end jigging assist hooks seem to be pretty popular, either rigged as for jigging or with 2 split rings to align them correctly (point riding up or down, not to the side).
Another option is to crush all the barbs on your trebles making them much easier to remove. As long as you keep pressure on the line catch rate does not suffer.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
After getting a treble caught in a shark shield I try and change all my lures to singles. I like the Decoy ones ("Pluggin" and "Jiggin"), they seem to hold their points better than the Gamas. I think I get less hookups but they tend to be in the mouth and drop less often. I'm trying out stingers for the rear with some success, though they can foul the front hook more easily.

·
Registered
171 Posts
rodrocket said:
Sick of getting trebles caught up on me, net, kayack, line (when casting), weed and even the poor old fish sometimes :D
Am wondering how succesful others find using single's hooks instead of trebles ?
Q. Do you use them ?
yes.
Q. Any reduction in catch rate ?
no.
Q. One single at rear, or at each point ?
two.
Q. Size of single relative to treble ?
same.
Q. What type/style of hook works best ?
proper lure hooks, not normal bait hooks
Would welcome any comments b4 I buy new split ring pliers :D
Cheers,
Rod
see bold.

G

·
I've been working through different hook setups fishing for Salmon, which are very prolific at the moment, so have plenty of experience to go by.
Trebles can get a more effective hookup if the fish gets a hook in each jaw. However, any difference seems insignificant. A two jaw hookup is uncommon and the additional time to remove the hook and damage caused to the fish far outweighs any minor advantage. Other than that, I am finding no matter what I do the 'spat hook' rate stubbornly remains around 50% (using braid, short leader and fast taper rod). I've also tested double split rings and attaching (very expensive) double hooks attached to the back of the lure by bearing swivels. The huge advantage of a single hook is that it is far easier to release fish and you have far less chance of being stuck if the fish thrashes about as you go to remove the hook. I just bulk-ordered 50 metal plugs and plan to convert them all to singles.

Whether to use one hook at the middle of the lure may depend on the species. My current targets chase and grab from behind, so a single hook at the back is very effective... except when a cheap split ring fails or an expensive double hook slips around and falls off the swivel:lol:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys.
Feeling like I have a better handle on the process and will have a go.
Am curious as th whether using only a rear single alters the attitude/angle of the lure ?
Appreciate the input :D
Cheers, Rod

·
Registered
197 Posts
1) I do occasionally in 'snaggier' areas. Just not confident enough to make the full time switch, that plus switching 80+ lures over would get expensive lol.
2) Not that I can really notice with this occasional use, maybe a one or two extra missed hits per long session?
3) Switch em both over only
4) A few sizes larger but not too big. I try match the weight (roughly) more so to not affect action too much.
5) I use owner or gamakatsu specifically 'designed' single lure hooks. They have quite the curve on them but aren't quite a circle hook though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.