Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day all,

Decided to install a little Lowrance Elite 4 Sounder/GPS combo (with Silver Navionics card) into my Tarpon 120.

Is there any particular reason why some guys opt for the wetbox setup over the dry install with silicone blob (and vice versa)? Is it just ease of installation?

Wetbox:

Dry Install:

·
Registered
399 Posts
After I few installs that I didn't like I ended up buying a hummingbird through hull install kit and it came with grease and it worked a treat, I did end up sealing all around It so the transducer couldn't get away when the yak was in transit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I installed it with the silicon blob and I was getting false readings left right and centre, so I took it off and I was told that Sigaflex was better to use so I re did it but still the same and it kept giving me false readings as it is the air bubbles that does it and it came off as well. so I did a wet well and wacked a heap of sigaflex around it and I initially filled it with KY jelly as that is basically the same stuff they use for ultra scans on pregnant women but when I siliconed the top on it and filled it with KY, it blow the side of the wet well so then I took the top off it and I just fill it with water when I am about to go out, it is in my opinion the most accurate way of doing it my new Kayak has a recessed area for the transducer and was so easy to do. cheers, Paul. everyone told me that silicon works and that is great but I could not get it to work to save myself, if you have air bubbles you will get false readings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm confused. Should I be using an Araldite type epoxy adhesive or a silicone sealer to install my tranny?
Surely a silicone sealer is exactly that.....a sealer. Don't I need an adhesive?

Any advice would be appreciated as a recent install with an epoxy resulted in a detached tranny after only one outing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I opted for the wetbox approach but I keep forgetting to take my finder. Don't really need it these days anyway.

I like the idea of not having it fixed in there and it can be taken out and dropped under the seat in a second set up if I need all the stow away space, sometimes I don't even bother taking the water out. With the silicone you need to worry about air bubbles, disintegration, having the wire on top you'll need to make sure it's angled right, etc otherwise it could be cut, bent, snapped, etc. I'd just prefer, water in tranny in, off I go

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.