Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I have yet another question.

I'll need to transport 5-6 kayaks, plus associated gear such as paddle's, life jacket and fishing gear. I've been looking/thinking about it for a while and am thinking that to achieve my <$2k budget my best bet is to get a cheap 8x5 from NSW or Vic, transport it here and add a simple racking system. Something like this.

Is there any major issues with this design that people can forsee? Or is there a better option? Thanks in advance.

Nathan

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
cjbfisher said:
Nathan,
I reckon something with just a row of vertical supports up the centre of the trailer with arms out each side. That way you can either slide them on from the rear, or you can lift them on from the side. The one you have pictured limits you to sliding them from behind only.
My 2c
Chris
Yes

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I'd certainly considered this initially. My concerns on this design are that I'd have to strap each individual yak separately fore and aft. It also prevents me from putting signage on the side of the trailer at a later stage.

However there is much better knowledge and experience on here than me so feedback and thoughts are highly sought.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
box trailer set up is going to be cheaper and lighter than the tandem rig in the pictures you have put up. I had a box trailer set up that I had customized with a central stand and half lids which hinged from the center line and allowed me to lock the trailer keeping the paddles, PFD's and any other gear out of sight and "safe". When I built the fully custom trailer I now use I can only slide the yaks in from the rear and it has never been a problem.

One thing you will need to consider is the length of the yaks you will be transporting as you may need to get the draw-bar extended to prevent too much overhang. With 5.5 meter yaks I had a 2.5 meter draw bar that had to be beefed up a LOT to prevent it from flexing while driving...

cheers

John

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
john316 said:
box trailer set up is going to be cheaper and lighter than the tandem rig in the pictures you have put up. I had a box trailer set up that I had customized with a central stand and half lids which hinged from the center line and allowed me to lock the trailer keeping the paddles, PFD's and any other gear out of sight and "safe". When I built the fully custom trailer I now use I can only slide the yaks in from the rear and it has never been a problem.

One thing you will need to consider is the length of the yaks you will be transporting as you may need to get the draw-bar extended to prevent too much overhang. With 5.5 meter yaks I had a 2.5 meter draw bar that had to be beefed up a LOT to prevent it from flexing while driving...

cheers

John
Thanks John,

Should've said the picture was for rack design purposes only ;-)

I was also thinking about lockable storage, any chance you've got some pictures of yours? I wasn't sure how to avoid the lids hitting the rack when lifted up?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.