Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

How much time on average do you spend on the water each month?

• 0-5 hours

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • 6-10 hours

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • 11-15 hours

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • 16-20 hours

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • 21-30 hours

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • 31-40 hours

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • 41+ hour

Votes: 3 4.8%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately all my trips have been well under 5 hours as the wife has had enough after only 3. Both my trips have been for a donut. It's still good to be out on the water regardless of the fishing.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Although I haven't been getting out much lately, when I do get out, I only go for 2-3hours per trip. I trysts up for that by doing more trips.....if I can't catch a fish I that period I give up. It gets too hot later in the day also.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I'm usually on the water about 6-7 hours a week on average. I don't usually fish the entire time. A lot of the time I just enjoy being on the water. Very peaceful, any stress just washes away.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Bretto said:
I'm usually on the water about 6-7 hours a week on average. I don't usually fish the entire time. A lot of the time I just enjoy being on the water. Very peaceful, any stress just washes away.
i'm the same as you mate, love been out on the water, if it's good weather, i'm out there, fishing or not. it just puts me in another world

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
This is terrible!
I had to hit the lowest number of hours on the poll. Thinking about getting out fishing all the time, just can't get away anymore. Perhaps things will change. Does 25 hours a month seem reasonable and fair??
Drastic action has to be taken......gaffa tape. rubber gloves, cable ties......No not that....Just patience! :shock: :shock:

Andybear :shock:

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
There's a difference between on the water and fishing for some of us. I try to get on the water at least 4 days a week, building to 5 at the moment. But only one of these is fishing and then only 3 hours. Except that between injuries and the bloody weather it's quite a bit less at the moment.

I ticked 11 to 15.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I get out about twice a month 4-5 hours at a time. Any longer and the wife's on the phone.

Would be every weekend, but living in Tassie means that when it's actually warm enough to get out, there's going to be wind particularly in the arvos.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would fish every day if I could :lol: however I do try to get out for at least once if not twice a week and when im chasing Bass I've been known to fish for 12 hours in one session :D

·
Registered
588 Posts
I fish almost every W/E in the yak at least once and try to get in both day on the W/E although it is harder over winter getting the weather right

over summer I do get 1 or 2 nights in after work as well as the W/Es
and winter W/E trips are 5 - 6 hours and over summer 8 or more in a day

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
at least once each weekend but often 2 and some times three if you count morning and evening at different locations on the same day... it helps that the child bride is also a kayak fisher-people and accompanies me most of the time. Daylight savings brings in the option of a session after work but not as regular as the weekends. I am blessed to have so many options close to home and can get out onto lakes, rivers and the ocean all of which I love.

While I love just being out on the water I also find that because I usually catch more than I need and practice catch and release I can feel a little disappointed when I get the occasional donut... It is a long time since I ventured out onto the water without carrying at least one fishing rod.

cheers

John

·
Registered
581 Posts
Pre Baby - Once a weekend with a morning or afternoon sess during the week. Maybe 24-30 hours a month.
Post Baby - Lucky to get out every second weekend for about 3 hours. Maybe 6 hours a month.

Whoever thinks having kids won't change your life is an idiot, and if your wife promises that you can still go out whenever you want before the baby comes, she is lying and it all changes when the bub comes. :lol:

The little buggar had better put me in a good home when i'm geriatric, for all these sacrifised I am making.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
So variable I cannot put an answer.
Some months, not at all, sometimes for months on end.
Some weeks I'll spend 20+ hours on the water, some months maybe 60+.
Sometimes 3 or 4 days in a row, sometimes not for 90 days (this winter it will be at least 6 months of no kayaking).

·
Registered
690 Posts
Interesting to note that many have a session time of around 5 hours. I generally do 5-6 hours but in good weather on my local or elsewhere I may do more. I hit the water most weekends often both days and when on vacation many more days to boot. Enjoying it while i can and in my life stage i count myself extremely fortunate to be able to devote so much time to a passion.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I've been logging the time in each of my kayaks for a few years now and was very surprised to find I'd only done about 42 hours in the past year, so less than 1 hour per week.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.