Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[mod edit: Removed conversational exchange to another topic - continue if you wish ]

From viewtopic.php?f=17&t=62183, by Zed, who is experiencing a patch of poor conditions every day he goes out kayak fishing.

"I need a day where it isn't a struckin' fuggle being out in open water."

I like, and such polite language expressing his frustations, conveyed via some very strange words. Zed's strange words remind me of a great poem in English literature. Could we liken Zed to Lewis Carroll? (Jabberwocky)

Okay, after many requests (that is poetic licence - aka BS....there haven't been any requests, as I haven't yet posted this post), here is Jabberwocky. Carroll's poem uses many 'new' words, invented by him for the poem, words that were not 'real' words in the English language. Yet despite this stroke of genius, or insanity, he manages to convey a story that is instantly understood by most listeners. This is not all that surprising really, for Carroll is also the author of the much loved 'Alice in Wonderland', with mad hatters and tea parties (it is rumoured he had a taste for mushrooms of a certain kind).

Jabberwocky

By Lewis Carroll 1832-1898

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand;
Long time the manxome foe he sought-
So rested he by the Tumtum tree
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
gra said:
Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
rk!!!!!
Does this you like Jabberwocky? You are amazed at his creative genius, right?

:lol: :lol: (hey Gra, he may have been eating the same mushrooms you eat).

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
kayakone said:
(it is rumoured he had a taste for mushrooms of a certain kind).
Is this poetic truth (BS) too?

I've never heard of any rumours or seen evidence of drug use of any kind by Charles Dodgson (Lewis Carrolls real name)
I've read several biographies, studied several critical literary dissertations on his works and life, and read exceprts of his diaries encompassing a number of years

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anselmo said:
kayakone said:
(it is rumoured he had a taste for mushrooms of a certain kind).
Is this poetic truth (BS) too?

I've never heard of any rumours or seen evidence of drug use of any kind by Charles Dodgson (Lewis Carrolls real name)
I've read several biographies, studied several critical literary dissertations on his works and life, and read exceprts of his diaries encompassing a number of years
Nick I'm quoting a post from here by someone who thought 'recreational drugs' was an OK thing. There was a table of all the 'great' writers /thinkers/musicians who (allegedly) used drugs for their inspiration. Can't be sure, but I think the poster included Lewis Carroll as having been into hallucinogenic mushrooms for his inspirational writing.

Now here's a challenge. (Jon, are you awake?) - What was the thread (guessing last 5 months or so), and who was the poster?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Trev, I prefer the more "Classical Literature" reading:

I heard Rolph did 'shrooms. But don't quote me.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Zed said:
Trev, I prefer the more "Classical Literature" reading:

I heard Rolph did 'shrooms. But don't quote me.
That is classic Zed!

Best recital of Jabberwocky ever! :D (just ignore Gra and Patwah ... it seems they're lacking in cultural appreciation, :( or at the very least cannot see the brilliance in that recital).

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Hmmm, not the finest hour.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Has Zed's original post been edited? Someone in the original thread also made comments about having to translate it - why? What did I miss?
Apart from the one spoonerism used to disguise the use of some profanity to express his frustration I can't see any strange words.

Oh, and Patwah, yes we now need to see evidence of your poetry award - 'cos ya know that without pics it never happened :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
AreWeThereYet was just making fun of my English. No sweat.
kayakone took the spoonerism and put it in the quotes thread, and then expounded on what it means to him.
Things went askew.
kayakone one is on super secret askew probation and from his quote of me onward was parsed out into a new thread.

Clear as mud?

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From viewtopic.php?f=18&t=62174

CET said:
No Mudpat you cannot take it back.
A product can only be returned for a credit, if it has only been used for the for the purpose for which it was intended.
A shark proof wetsuit is designed not to be bitten in half by a shark.
If it is bitten in half by a shark, the warranty is void.

Some products you can only get a refund for the unused portion of the product.
So assuming he shark did eat half of you, you would only get a refund for the uneaten part.

Be careful when you buy a product and read the warranty carefully. Some people selling things out there are sharks.

Pete
Thanks Pete. :lol: :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.