Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Occy I like the idea as it follows the KISS principle and could no doubt be run off the Fish Finder battery most of us probably already have on board. Even the cost would be reasonable but… I think there would be a limited market as it would only be suitable for larger SOT's like the Elite etc which can carry 300kg adding another 27 kgs to the payload would put a lot of SOT"s that have a 150kg load rating a bit close to the limit. Then the frustrated inventor might be frustrated that our legal system is becoming like the USA. :(

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
occy- all you gotta do now is catch the live bait!!!! (that's the difficult bit!!!)

IMO the weight would be an issue, you'd be better off using a much smaller container (10 litres is plenty for a live bait tank on a yak unless you plan on catching 85 yellowtail and 95 squid :shock: :shock: )

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Hi Occy, neat set up mate.

I would lower the overflow hole, apart from the extra weight if it is too high the water will splash around an overflow around the lid.

Is that a 12 volt hand held shower set up? If so the pump will rust out quite quickly, mine did just using fresh water. You can get salt water pumps similar size and shape.

Dropping the pump into the water is fine when stationary, under way it will just drag along half out of the water and not picking up any water.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Great job, Clever people fish from Kayaks 8)

·
Registered
678 Posts
looks great!

can i make 1 suggestion? i reckon a sheet of fly screen or garden mesh across the top is a must. when you pop the top of what was a fairly dark space, and show the bait the light, some are prone to making a leap for it

as was mentoned, catching bait can be hard enough, without loosing it :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well Done Occy,

One small suggestion: the inlet and diffuser might be better off coming through one side of the esky rather than the lid. That way, the lid is easier to remove, you don't have to switch off the pump before removing the lid and it might be a bit easier to route the cabling and tubing.

Cheers,

Steve

·
Registered
551 Posts
Looks like a great unit Occy - well done.

I use a bilge pump over the side on my tank and even though it looks bulkier than your unit, I don't notice the drag at all so it certainly shouldn't be an issue with yours. One handy thing I have on mine is to be able to access a bait without opening the entire lid (and letting the other baits jump out). I cut a little access hatch into lid of mine with a tupperware container inserted in the hole to allow for a lid.

Although Davey is right with respect to the size of unit being a bit of overkill for just a couple of baits, I also use mine to keep the fish that I catch live until ready to land. Mine is a 30L tank and easily fits 30cm bream in there with room for them to swim around. Its good if you catch a few fish because you can elect to throw some back at the end of the session if you have more than is required. The weight has not been an issue for me because I have a pretty big yak and the extra ballast actually helps. You can always set up a siphon to adjust your water level (or just drill some holes in the side of the tank were you want the water level to be).

You only need to replace the water every 20 minutes or so to keep the fish in good condition (or more frequently if there are more baits) so you can conserve battery power by not having it running all the time.

·
Registered
520 Posts
BUMP

For anybody looking for ideas for the ABT kayak comp.

Cheers

jeffo

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I agree with some of the previous posts about the significant amount of weight it would add to the craft. But allnin all it seems to be a great setup and strongly keeping to the KISS priciples. Another thing I might as well bring up is that the height of the weight from the box
Might cause the yak to become unstable in choppy conditions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What about using heat shrink instead of cable ties for the hoses, save a few wet hands from some nasty slices.
Also has anyone got a open bottomed live well in their yak? IE an area isolated from the rest of the hull that is open to the water and replenished without pumps/buckets etc. If so how have you done it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts