Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Had the annual medical once over today to follow the blood tests done last week.

On the one hand the doc says my cholesterol is perfect, liver/kidney function fine, thyroid red cells etc all fine, blood pressure OK.

Then he checks my back for skin cancers and I tell him about some new growths over the last 18 months. He decides he can take off the larger ones (all benign but a nuisance at times) with the liquid nitrogen gun. So he does 2 on the chest/front shoulder and 3 on the back. I've had the gun many times but only ever on things much smaller than a pea before now. This time the ones on the back are more like 10 cent to 20 cent coin size. Usually it's like a small pin prick - this time it was just as intense but much more wide spread and they have been giving me some stick for the last 4 hours.

So on the other hand I've been looking after myself over the last year but my skin is still being affected by events from over 30 years ago. Luckily no skin cancers yet.

IMG_6157 trimmed [800x600].jpg

IMG_6158 trimmed [800x600].jpg

So remember to use the sun screen and cover up where possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
781 Posts
Ouch, that looks painful. Now I know why you are called labrat. It seems you are being used for medical experiments.
Good to see that there was no nasties present. Best of luck for a speedy healing process.
Luckily I was blessed with olive skin. Even after the abuse I gave my bodies biggest organ when I was young I have not had any problems.
Although perhaps abusing my big organ may be the reason my eyesight is deteriorating? My mother did warn me about self abuse. :lol:
Mark.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Good luck with that Nick.

There was a survey of 15 - 24 y.o. done here very recently regarding sun exposure. A high number, a scary number, (I think it was 22% - I'll try to find it), said they had been burnt in the past week. That is a lot of irrepairable damage, much of which will lead to skin cancer and death.

Getting any more than the exposure in the safe periods (good for vitamin D manufacture), is NOT cool. It is bloody stupid!

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
labrat said:
So on the other hand I've been looking after myself over the last year but my skin is still being affected by events from over 30 years ago. Luckily no skin cancers yet.
Nice to read you are on the job in the skin check-ups and repairs Bob, and the 30 year time frame is no great surprise to me after my own experiences.

These days shudder when I see blokes only wearing a cap for face protection from the sun, and young roof tilers stripped to the waist as they lay tiles, who for sure will be getting meat burned or cut off in future years..

Some of my own episode and other AKFFers can be read here if interested
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2907 this thread also includes some pictures of different lesions posted by grinner.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Mate why is he burning them off if there not cancerous?

They dont even look like moles. They look like Seborrhoeic keratoses, I have heaps of them, they are harmless and have nothing to do with sun exposure or cancer.
Last time I was at the skin cancer doctor he burnt off a few on my head, without warning me before hand, [email protected]#k they sting for a few days. Didnt mind him burning off a small Basil cell, but he could of at least warned me of the others.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I had one cut off my head - easily done no pain
BUT - the pain over the next 3 days , boy it hurt
Still better than dying though

get them checked quickly - mine grew in 3 months

·
Registered
908 Posts
ArWeTherYet said:
Mate why is he burning them off if there not cancerous?

They dont even look like moles. They look like Seborrhoeic keratoses, I have heaps of them, they are harmless and have nothing to do with sun exposure or cancer.
I was wondering same thing. It's not a case of over servicing for profit is it?

I just had a check up yesterday with one biopsy taken. Previously I have had a couple cut out but always scar badly. Now wondering if the burn is a better option although your photos dont sell it well.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AWTY - yes they are indeed SKs but I find them a bit irritating at times and am happy to have them removed. Also it means that a certain person will stop nagging me about them because she doesn't believe the 5 doctors who have told me they don't turn malignant :) .

BMF - I have had 2 taken off by surgery - 1 on the face and 1 on the neck. These were done by a plastic surgeon and I must say I'd prefer being burnt any day. Just personal preference I guess, although it is certainly much cheaper and quicker so these are real advantages.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
kayakone said:
Good luck with that Nick.

There was a survey of 15 - 24 y.o. done here very recently regarding sun exposure. A high number, a scary number, (I think it was 22% - I'll try to find it), said they had been burnt in the past week. That is a lot of irrepairable damage, much of which will lead to skin cancer and death.

Getting any more than the exposure in the safe periods (good for vitamin D manufacture), is NOT cool. It is bloody stupid!
Thanks trev
I was always super careful about the sun when I lived in oz and nothing changed here either

I don't sunbathe. I always wear sunscreen and I never get burnt so hopefully it's just a big ugly freckle :)

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
labrat said:
AWTY - yes they are indeed SKs but I find them a bit irritating at times and am happy to have them removed. Also it means that a certain person will stop nagging me about them because she doesn't believe the 5 doctors who have told me they don't turn malignant :) .
Thats good mate, as long as you know. I've had them since my early thirties and had at least one GP think they were moles. Having a few barnacles adds a bit of character. ;-)

BTW good to get regular check ups, much easier to fix stuff up if you get it early.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Oh yes the annual check up, well worth the admission
Had surgery a few weeks back on my nose for the bastard
Two weeks ago had spot removed , they rang me back the next morning told me two come straight in
As I walked in the door my doc greets me and takes down the back and operates emediately
Moral is cover up and go and get checked out frequently

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well that'll teach me not to check my thread while having lunch!

That's a MUCH bigger patch than I had on my nose - hope it all comes good soon Dave.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Cheers Bob
The one on the nose is all healed up now, you wouldn't even know it had been done
I get the 20 odd stitches out of my shoulder on Monday
Again take care everyone

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
lads, a very interesting topic.

re overservicing, it is a problem and you have to be a bit careful of some of the unscrupulous choppers who remove innocent moles.
i'd ask for a copy of the histology report before having anything removed (ie get a biopsy if in doubt).

i am going to research a theory i heard a few years ago when i get time that went along the lines of polarised sunglasses maybe being a contributor to skin cancer. the theory (and it sounds plausible) is that the eyes (being a direct link to the brain and a major driver of input) send signals to the brain when the eyes detect a lot of uv light (ie in cairns) whhich then switches on the tanning process and the immune response to fight mutant cells (remeber skin cancer is partly controlled by the immune system which mops up the bad cells..this is why aids patients , leukemia patients are often covered in skin cancers)
anyway sounds like a possible theory but i wouldnt be ossing the sunnies just yet. you'll get pterygiums.

cheers, dave, the nose is withourt doubt the worst place to get a skin cancer in terms of difficult surgery but the lip is more dangerous as it drains straight to the nodes under the jaw.

·
Registered
781 Posts
grinner said:
lads, a very interesting topic.

re overservicing, it is a problem and you have to be a bit careful of some of the unscrupulous choppers who remove innocent moles.
i'd ask for a copy of the histology report before having anything removed (ie get a biopsy if in doubt).

i am going to research a theory i heard a few years ago when i get time that went along the lines of polarised sunglasses maybe being a contributor to skin cancer. the theory (and it sounds plausible) is that the eyes (being a direct link to the brain and a major driver of input) send signals to the brain when the eyes detect a lot of uv light (ie in cairns) whhich then switches on the tanning process and the immune response to fight mutant cells (remeber skin cancer is partly controlled by the immune system which mops up the bad cells..this is why aids patients , leukemia patients are often covered in skin cancers)
anyway sounds like a possible theory but i wouldnt be ossing the sunnies just yet. you'll get pterygiums.

cheers, dave, the nose is withourt doubt the worst place to get a skin cancer in terms of difficult surgery but the lip is more dangerous as it drains straight to the nodes under the jaw.
Thats interesting Grinner about the sunnies. I only wear sun glasses on very glarey occassions and I do tan very fast and rarely get sun burnt even without the use of sun creams. I do have rather dark skin even even though I am of English and Scottish descent. (Ask mum about the milkman?)

·
Registered
666 Posts
OldDood said:
I am of English and Scottish descent. (Ask mum about the milkman?)
Ernie, sorry i mean Dunny is your mum's name Sue :lol:

Actually you do even resemble Benny :shock:

PS. I think many of us are still a bit lax about using sunscreen regularly, I know i am guilty at times !

Steve

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.