Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Here's another link that tells you more than you are ever likely to need to know about steel. If I am honest, I would probably only refer to it if I was thinking about buying a fancy new knife so that I could try & have an idea about the properties of the steel used.

http://zknives.com/knives/articles/knifesteelfaq.shtml

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Not sure if I missed it, but has anyone posted a link to how to sharpen knives properly?

I've sharpened plane blades to scary-sharp and cut throat razors to shaving sharpness, but could do with a primer on using a sharpening stone and steel properly on Chef/Kitchen knives
(unfortunately unlike Paulo, the Knife Dr isn't within walking distance for me!)

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
anselmo said:
Not sure if I missed it, but has anyone posted a link to how to sharpen knives properly?

I've sharpened plane blades to scary-sharp and cut throat razors to shaving sharpness, but could do with a primer on using a sharpening stone and steel properly on Chef/Kitchen knives
(unfortunately unlike Paulo, the Knife Dr isn't within walking distance for me!)
Don't think so Nick. A primer would be great. Paulo explained use of a steel, and Liam his method, but a good video on diamond stone and diamond steel use would be excellent if added to this thread (I for one learn better from watching than reading).

Great thread Indie! :D

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
nezevic said:
I've just stickied this. An excellent thread that would be a real shame to lose into the never never.
Ditto...bookmarked (thanks Dodge for how to). A mine of info, and still digging. :D

I think that second video Brad is what Paulo was taking about. Thanks. Must do some digging on using stones.

·
Registered
867 Posts
This guy seems pretty serious about how to sharpen his knives with stone/s:

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Salty Dog said:

Bloody hell. Yep.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Thanks Adam. What a great resource AKFF is! :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
For a bit of variation, look up the Japanese deba. They require a completely different filleting style, which looks more efficient flesh wise but less so time wise.

I have become a bit knife obsessed recently and strongly recommend the edge pro sharpening system and a ceramic steel for maintenance and finishing, if you want a seriously sharp knife.. And if you want to discover a new world of blade quality, check out the Japanese hand forged knives, just amazing! The kitchen knife forum is a way to discover the range out there and the range of knife obsessed weirdos out there!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Looking forward to the write up Brad.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
indiedog said:
Earlier this week I dropped in to The Knife Doctor to look at sharpening steels and to have a bit of a chat with the owner Mark about the entire knife selection/sharpening thing. I'm looking at doing up a bit of a summary (when I get a chance) of all we've gone over (including knife design, selection and sharpening) and Mark has kindly agreed to run his eye over this to ensure accuracy. It may take a few weeks (or more) but I think it will be worthwhile doing. Just looking at the steels on offer with the varying degrees of coarseness was an exercise. Happy to make this a wiki type thing so that others can have input.

While there, Mark gave me some in-depth training on how to use a steel and I watched him shave some paper with a wickedly sharp blade. My new Dexter Russell was nowhere near as sharp even without having been used at all yet. Apparently the quality of the "factory" edge on a knife can vary. After that I decided to leave my new knife there also to have that edge improved. Keen to see the difference when I pick it up.
There are skills and there are skills. We have much to learn. We catch fish, then we fillet them.

This has been one of the best threads for some time. Thanks Brad.

·
Registered
465 Posts
hmmmm i really lashed out and got myself an edge pro apex sharpening system.....

It is nowhere near as easy as they make out! trying to set the edge angle is a nightmare for me, but I am sure with much practice I shall get there!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Salty Dog said:

that video is gold.
i dusted off my old whetstone and gave it another go - amazed how well the edge came up.
its not razor shaving hairs sharp yet, but ive only got a 400/1000 stone. keen to try the 4000

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
redgreg said:
View attachment 2 View attachment 3 after seeing Isobar cutting up a yellow fin last week with a Japanese fish knife, that was it I was in love until I saw the cost so I made one from the pic I had of his knife cheers Greg
That. Is. Awesome!
Mad skills to pay the bills!

·
Registered
293 Posts
redreg, great job and I never would have thought of an alternate use for my old makita blades.
I use a few various sized deba's in my kitchen, they are a fabulous knife once you learn to use them properly.
Same question as indiedog, did you bevel one side only?

·
Registered
128 Posts
just got to back to the knife thread after another 4hours PLUS working on my Makita knife with 1000grit wet & dry plus oiling the hard wood
And indiedog you say I can get a knife on line for $30.Shit I would have not made one, but I do like it ha ha
My first time at made a knife, two sides got bevelled ,why one side bevel I could recut it.(L or R hand) ?????
salti you tight arse $30 get one on line

Attachments

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Nice job Redgreg.
Have you ever been in prison ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a diamond sharpening stone as well as a couple of aluminium oxide stones. One I have had for well over 50 years. I have several filleting knives of various shapes including a Case filleting knife and a Furi boning knife. The Furi is a one piece knife with no join lines or laminations at the handle, so it is truly fish stink safe. They all sharpen well. I know oil is the recommended coolant/lubricant for hand sharpening, but I also use soapy water. it works well as it flushes and cleans the stone as you work and is no more slippery than oil. Keeping new exposed grit is important when sharpening as a loaded stone will cause slipping and will not sharpen. Usually the more expensive knives have the better steel as the more exotic the steel, the more it costs to make it. I must admit that I like the grit stones better than the diamond, but I fear I am a bit of a traditionalist. Used to make our own knives from power hack saw blades years ago. Red hard high speed steel. It rusted of course so you had to look after it. It was a bastard to sharpen but kept its edge for a while, but tended to be brittle. I was not able to temper the blade myself as being red hard steel it did not start to temper until after it was red hot!!!!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
This thread keeps on giving. Thanks happyas.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts