Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

Tempo 2 Vs Swing Double

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Phoenix 
#1 ·
I have been doing research on a double kayak that can very much be an alround kayak.
I have narrowed it down to the Temp 2 and the Swing Double.
I had a look at a Tempo 2 on the weekend and liked the ability to put a rudder on as well as an electric motor in the future. As I see it this does expand the useablity of it. It also seemed to be well designed with the fisherman in mind with its good storage and set up etc.

From what I can see of the swing double is it longer, thinner and I presume faster and it seems quite alot of AKFF members have them.

I do intend to do a bit of paddling training in the Brisbane river on a frequent basis so speed through the water would be important.

How do people rate both Kayaks and what do they see as the pro's and con's of each?
Cheers
Baz

#2 ·
Yeah Baz, both of those 2 are heavy models & the Tempo 2 looks more designed for motoring than paddling. If you can handle the weight, the Swing Double would be my pick out of the 2.

For me a middle seating position is a must too if you are paddling on your own at times. If you sit at the back, alot of the kayak isn't in the water, so you either have to live with being alot slower or weight the front down & paddle around with extra weight.

If you are sure that you want a 2 seater without a middle seating position, this one looks pretty good too, (have to get a kayak shop to import from the States though)- should be faster than either of the 2 models you are looking at.
http://www.oceankayak.com/kayaks/tandems/zest_two_exp.html

If you want something really flash, you could go for something like this from South Africa but make sure you organise a good importer. There are alot of horror stories around about kayaks being damaged.

Have a look at the sit on top version - can even get it in a 2 peice so that the weight will be really manageable on your own.
http://www.kayak.co.za/kaskazi/duo.htm

Wish there was something like that in Australia

What sort of distances are you looking at paddling & what sort of conditions are you looking to fish mate?

Whatever tandem you get will be a compromise but if you let us know what you are really looking to use it for most, we should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Are you looking to take it to sea, or just rivers & creeks?
Will it be used mostly by just yourself or will you have the missus & kid with you?
Are you looking at paddling long distances?
Is it mostly for fishing or mostly for paddling?
Are you & your wife big people or little people?

I looked at heaps of models after the same sort of boat as you but now I think I'm definately better off with both a tandem & a single. I lucky to get a cheap single & reasonable price tandem.

Let us know what the deal is anyway Baz, because with either of the 2 models you mentioned, you'll be shelling out a bit of cash anyway. You might be able to pick up a tandem & a single for the same sort of $$$ if you don't mind getting them 2nd hand.

#3 ·
I have been doing a few of the adventure races which usually entails 5-10km of tandom paddling. As I don't paddle at all now (except for the races) I am planning to paddle once a week with a mate for an hour in the Brisbane river. The kayaks we get in the races are either blow up sevylor's or a Toyboy voyager 2, both of which are not fast. My kayak would be more for training and not to use in the actual race.
I also spend quite a bit of time at Caloundra and love my fishing. I would like to be able to troll around the headland and maybe even get out to Bray rock if the seas are calm and poke around the passage. The wife also likes the idea of coming for a paddle (which is excellent as funds become easier to get) and I have one littlen and another on the way and I think Kayaking is a great family activity. Most of the fishing and paddle training would be done with a similar sized mate.
The thing I also liked about the Viking Tempo is that you could put a electric motor on the back.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers
Baz

#4 ·
baz, My wife and I have a swing double that we use for fishing rivers and estauries. As a fishing platform for us we find it is easy and fun. We had all the hatches installed and also puchased a pod that you can use to keep ice in for storing fish or keep drinks cool . the pod is not insulated but will suffice. If you go out with mate fishing i would suggest you look at extra rod holders if you want to carry more than one rod each, but depending on the outfitting will govern the placement of rod holders and the quantity. The idea of a leccy to take you home after a session sounds good and the tempo 2 has this option but not the swing. I would chase up about the rudder option but we dont have one so i cant say if they are good or not. There will be fights over who sits forward and who is in the back seat and maybe rock ,paper, scissors will determine who sits where. With my wife and I, The front spot is my seat and she sits in the back steering and taking pics and catching all the big fish. when we were looking around at kayaks we were told doubles are called divorce makers :lol: :lol: because of the discussions on who was paddling and and who was supposed to be changing stroke or adjusting direction. If you can try both doubles.... the kids can sit in front of you but can get in the way or if they are old enough they paddle and you fish.....
good luck in your hunt

#5 ·
I have a Swing Double with rudder. Wife at front me at back, no divorce in sight.

Rudder is highly recomended. I self installed mine - which was a pain in the butt.

You are more than welcome to come and have a paddle with me/us anytime. I found it very difficult to get a test paddle out of the Viking staff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.