Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite nothing for the table still not a bad way to spend your birthday. That pike was perfect size for a hook through the nose & dead slow troll back along north head to attract one of those nice big winter kings the harbour in known for. I know there are some who troll live salmon but the ones I get are always a bit big to use as livies in the yak.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Nice one Bertros
Those salmon schools are all over at the moment but they sure are not eating anything, chased them around in vain at Norah head yesterday for nada..

Cheers

Tonie

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Bertros said:
About the salmon, not the seals, but this on fishraider explains perfectly what I went through, and why I need to think about trying fly-fishing at some point. Not sure a fly behind a metal or hard body would work, but something to give a crack at when I get a chance all the same.

I prefer to fish a rising tide for salmon & prefer one that is high about an hour after sunrise. I prefer this time as generally there is not too much wind around to interfere with my fly casting. Look for schools of fish feeding on the surface. What they look like when feeding varies from barely rippling the surface & just making a few swirls through too big splashes & boils. Do not rely on birds too much to show you Salmon as often a large school of fish feeding may only have a couple birds on it. Reason being salmon don't leave much in the way of scraps for them to feed on. When you find the find the fish watching the way they are feeding will give you a good idea of what they are eating as well as what your chances are of getting a strike. Salmon that are chopping hard at the surface over a wide area are generally on large white bait & are easy to catch. Often you will be able to see little baitfish jumping clear of the water trying to escape. Salmon feeding like this are generally an easy target & will take metal lures & flies with no problems at all & you should have an enjoyable session. Schools of salmon that are sitting in one spot & swirling around the one area & appear to be sucking or sipping bait of the surface but you cannot see what they are eating & there are no little baitfish jumping generally means they are feeding on plankton & you are in for a frustrating day. In my opinion trying to catch Salmon feeding on plankton with metal lures is a waste of time & you would be better off looking for something else to catch. It is common to go through schools like this 30 or 40 times & still not get a strike. These are really only a fly rod proposition & even then can be very hard to get a strike. You need to use the tiniest flies you have & even then numerous casts are often needed for a strike.
Keza had some recommendations of fry imitation (flies) hung behind a lure/spinner I think. Worth testing.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Great read Matt - shows you don't have to catch fish to have a fun session on the yak.

Interesting theory on the salmon too - sometimes they strike, sometimes they ignore you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.