Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

As I'm looking to escape Brisbane and return to Sydney I thought I would brush up on any changes in the harbour. Whilst looking through the nsw maritime site I stumbled upon this.

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/docs/pub ... arbour.pdf

If I've read this right kayaks are prohibited from 40 baskets and reef beach? I'm not sure I get the logic if that, unless something has changed in the last 18months. Looks like I'll have to find a new launch spot and bait area.

Anyone else seen this.

Karl

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Brissie that bad eh Karl!?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too many mossies, wind and rain, and the local boaties are crazy. Plus the fishing is nothing like north harbour. Other than that its ok. :lol:

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Ball Head Bay (orange no go zone) used to be my spot for paddle practice and roll training. Never had any complaints though never specifically targeted the orange zone. Must have strayed into it a lot though. Think you might find that they are a little more relaxed than it suggests - at least in this instance. The orange zone (no go) at Circular quay is obvious. The only spot I've ever been hassled is chasing bream at the barges on spectacle island (Naval). It is not orange, but Naval territorial ego takes precedence.

Surprised that they have left Darling Harbour as a yellow (busy but OK to paddle, keep clear if possible). Not sure how long it will stay that way.

The yellow zone in Mort Bay is exactly where I launch. Nothing much I can do about it. In fact my normal fitness paddle around Cockatoo Island is chasing yellow the whole way. Again, not much I can do about it. Common sense prevails. Most of the water traffic is polite. Biggest issues are with the weekend once a year power boaties who have_not_got_a_clue. The old city ferry pilots are gentlemen. The River Cat pilots not. The yachties are oblivious to anything but racing so dont expect any help from boating rules.

I think the overall intent of the zones is fine. Local knowledge is the next step in terms of what you can get away with and what is safe.

I dont have a problem with it.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Thanks Ken. I did wonder about it. Starting next year my next (construction) project is in Darling Harbour (hopefully). I had visions of grandeur, paddling to work zowwiee!

But not to be.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
40 baskets - looks like you're not allowed to kayak inside the swimming enclosure....... I would have thought the steel shark fence and enclosure that clears the waterline would have been enough of a deterrent - as would the free hanging testicles at reef beach.

Sydney Harbour Kayaks and Manly Kayaks still show these areas as on their touring maps, so I reckon take those maritime maps are dodgy....

http://www.sydneyharbourkayaks.com.au/f ... ssport.pdf

http://www.manlykayakcentre.com.au/kaya ... -area.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.