Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gone round the block looking at swags and have found some interesting concepts. Anyone care to talk me into buying anything other than an Ultima swag? I won't be using it for yak camping, it will be for solo trips in the car where I don't want to take the Taj Mahal 16 man tent we camp in as a family... Keen to hear thoughts from those who already own a swag or use one regularly.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I really am a bit of a swag novice and was looking for something that wouldn't break the bank as a first timer. I got an oztrail Mitchell and used it for the first time up at DI. To say I'm impressed is an understatement. I'm certain there are much better swags than oztrail but this will do me for now and if anybody else was thinking of one I would happily recommend them.

Kev

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kev,

I haven't looked at it yet but how'd you go with the length? You're not a small bloke, was it restrictive at all?

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
One thing about swags that I'd like to know, does anyone still make the traditional no-fuss versions which are like a cross between a sleeping bag and a blanket? All the new ones seem to have poles, ropes, hoops and shit which make them more like a tent.

I've never owned a swag but have been out with people who've used them and they just roll them out and their bed is made. If it rains you sleep under the canvas flap otherwise you sleep on top of it or just lay it out to give you that big picnic blanket feel.

Maybe I'm just showing my age.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think they are still made BB. But with the advent of modern technology and materials some people are choosing to get away from the mozzies with "personal tents". The premise is the same. The Ultima ones really look like the ducks nuts. I fish solo a lot during winter in really nasty weather. I'm keen on the concept as it means I can go away fishing in horrible weather but still get a good night's sleep without having to try and sleep in the car. I'm 6'3 and feel like a midget contortionist trying to fold myself up in the backseat or boot.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Ok, never thought of the mozzie issue, a definite consideration up here! I do recall some of those camping trips and the walk around the bush just on dusk to find cow pats to burn.......to keep the mozzies away.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've read arguments that "I don't want to stuff around when I want to go to bed. I just want to unroll and crawl in." But for my money and personal sleep, I'd rather not have a flap resting on my head while its raining or be accosted by mozzies when it's not. They don't seem to take up any more space, I'll be carting it in the car so weight is negligible and I don't see that putting in two pegs and extending a short pole is all that much of a burden on my time. All I can see are positives. I get the portability and weather protection of a little tent that has my bed ready made inside it when I roll it out.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Go the Ultima, I bought mine based on StevenM's froth about his and am stoked with it.

I've got the same as him, the King - I'm 6'2" and have heaps of space inside, plenty of partner room too if you need it. I christened it up in the Snowies a few weeks ago, one night was tent-explodingly windy and I was fine except the gusts were coming straight head on, so it was getting up under the canvas over the top and was quite noisy. There are points on each corner where you can put pegs in which I didn't do, that would've solved it. Rain wasn't an issue, it was only light that night but I'd be confident in heavy rain too. Really roomy inside and totally dark once you pull the flap over.

Rolled up it's pretty big, especially once you put bedding in. This is it without a doona inside, so usually it'd be a little bigger than this (double bed & lazy dog for comparison):

swag.jpg

There's a compact option too for an extra $10 or something, basically you fold the whole thing in half before you set it up and you can't keep the mattress or bedding inside so I steered clear.

I bought mine over the phone - called up late Friday arvo and it was at my door in Sydney on Tuesday morning. Make sure you get the pole kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Jon the 1800s called, they want their method of camping back. It's all about the Hennessy hammock these days.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'm still a fan of the traditional swag, as I always set mine up on top of a camping stretcher, with a mozzie net if required. Its much better than sleeping on the ground no matter how good the mattress is. My old girl is due for retirement soon after twenty years of accompaning me on mustering, fishing, b & s and general shenanigan trips. I'll almost certainly be chasing a traditional swag from a saddler and not a personal tent.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Its the Ultima for me as well. Really easy to set up and a very comfy nights sleep. I have handled Stanthorpe in the middle of winter and Cairns in the middle of summer no worries.

For a quick overnight-er with the car I found I could just attach the ropes to the side mirror and the spare tyre on the back. Doesn't take anymore then 1 minute to be ready for bed.

On the beach I like setting it up on top of a stretcher to stay out of the sand a little more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,
im back up what bigkev says,

ive ogt the oztrail Mitchel double swag and cant fault it one bit.
plenty of room and quik to set up,aswellas being reasonably priced,have only used it three times so far.

the only down side is ,as I camp and fish by myself a alot I should have got the single not a double.

stewart

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
I don't get it myself. I've spent thousands of nights camping all over the world. I don't get the advantage of a Swag over a good one man tent, which is smaller, lighter, can pack into a pack or a kayak, you can sit up to get dressed in it, stay in it all day if the whether is foul, keep your pack and gear in it, etc, etc. The only downside I can see is that you may need to put half a dozen pegs in the ground, but most swags seem to have pegs too. Yep they take 5 minutes to set up, but that extra 3 minutes means much greater flexibikity all weekend.

Mine is this:

http://www.macpac.com.au/tents/all-macpac-tents/microlight.html

Probably a bit exe for most, but one pole, 4 pegs, integral pitch, done. Weighs less than 2kg, packs smaller than a sleeping bag.

I also like the look of these.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/shelters/mega-light-tent
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/shelters/mega-bug-tent

Or if you really like the no setup idea, then go the bivvy bag. Here's a single skin, light weight F1 model. As I said, not my cup of tea, but much more versatile than a swag as you can pack it, kayak it, etc.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/shelters/bipod-bivy

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ado, to me they are for different applications. I have a single man tent that I use in the kayak or hiking as well and it serves that purpose really well.

The mattress is the deciding factor in the swag for me. A 50mm high density foam mattress I find a whole lot comfier then my hiking foam/inflating mattress. When i have the space I will always take this option for a better nights sleep.

The swag is great because it has everything (Mattress, sheets and pillow) in it and I just chuck it in the 4wd and I'm set.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Interesting idea Ado. That first tent does look like a cracker.

I guess my leaning towards a swag is that I plan on using it to "camp" in places I probably shouldn't be camping. i.e. carparks at the beach or the side of the road. I tend to fish the changes of light so i'd climb in well after dark and be gone again before light. The simplicity of having my bed ready made when I roll it out seems fairly attractive. I typically don't sleep well on one of those 10mm insulation mats. So I was looking for something a bit more like a bed. Another reason for my leaning towards the swag.

I must admit at this stage it will be fairly hard to talk me out of the ultima, but different opinions let me look at the problem in a different light.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Ado said:
I don't get it myself. I've spent thousands of nights camping all over the world. I don't get the advantage of a Swag over a good one man tent, which is smaller, lighter, can pack into a pack or a kayak, you can sit up to get dressed in it, stay in it all day if the whether is foul, keep your pack and gear in it, etc, etc. The only downside I can see is that you may need to put half a dozen pegs in the ground, but most swags seem to have pegs too. Yep they take 5 minutes to set up, but that extra 3 minutes means much greater flexibikity all weekend.
I was much the same.
Until I bought a swag.
It's not just 5 minutes saved at set up, it's 10-15 at back up, 5-10 when packing the car, 5-10 when unpacking the car.
It's a snap decision to chuck the swag in the car when you are going somewhere in case you decide to stay.
It's setting up at night without needing a torch or headlamp.
Fantastic for kids.
Chuck it in the car and you know you have everything you need, tent, mattress, sheet, sleeping bag, blanket and pillow are all there. I've forgetten my pillow so many times camping.
If you are base camping, take a tent.
If you are setting up at 9pm and packing up at 7am, a swag is so much easier.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.