Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
If you park at Carindale Westfield shopping centre, which is just off the highway, you can get a free bus to and from the game. I'd say there'd be similar arrangements at other centres around the city.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
No I mean Carindale, but I'm a baysider originally.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
DaveyG

There are free buses from anywhere on the Brisbane Transport network. Your closest is Chermside Bus Station at Westfield's Shopping Centre Chermside (#370 or #330 - but do the research on Translink, as I have not driven for two years, and there maybe ones even further out). The game ticket price entitles you to the BT transport to and from the game.

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK trhanks guys. Sounds like a freaking hassle. just want to take the kids to a game, dont want to be driving then training/bussing /public transporting all over the place, especially as we''l be driving home after the game ( neraly 2 hours) with a couple of younguns. cant believe they havent build a carpark near the stadium.

looks like I'll be watching it from the comfort of my loungeroom instead. thanks

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Carindale is easy for you DG coming from the SC
It's right next to the Gateway arterial road - you'll avoid the whole snarl of the north side
Chermside is closer in total distance, but Carindale is easier access over the gateway bridge then close to the aterial road - so its further but chances are you'll get there quicker and with less hassle

·
Registered
526 Posts
Mate the department of transport is located on the corner of Beck and Boys st in Paddington, about a 15 minute walk from the stadium, carpark is always empty, and no hassles.
Walk up Boys st to Fernberg, up Fernberg to Latrobe, Latrobe to Given to the stadium.
Hope you know all the words to Up Up Cronulla as you'll be needing them.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
anselmo said:
Carindale is easy for you DG coming from the SC
It's right next to the Gateway arterial road - you'll avoid the whole snarl of the north side
Chermside is closer in total distance, but Carindale is easier access over the gateway bridge then close to the aterial road - so its further but chances are you'll get there quicker and with less hassle
Sorry, but this isn't very accurate. Chermside is only a short run (10min) through Aspley down Gympie Rd once off the highway called 'Bruce'. I live just near the gateway/Bruce merge, Chermy will be fine.

The busses run straight to the game with pretty much only game patrons aboard. Then at the end of the game they have them lined up ready to clear the stadium, just filling one after the other until everyone is gone. It's a simple system that works well. As Indie noted, the bus trips are never boring, guaranteed to entertain the kids.

I suppose another alternative is to stay down here in a hotel at Southbank or similar. If you do some searching I'm sure you could find some game & accommodation packages.

If your not worried about who you see Davey, then why not take the kids to a local Brisbane league game like the Dolphins at Redcliffe? No inner city stadium parking issues and the crowds are probably as big as a Sydney NRL game ie 5,000-10,000 :lol: pretty good atmosphere at local footy too.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Davey G said:
OK trhanks guys. Sounds like a freaking hassle. just want to take the kids to a game, dont want to be driving then training/bussing /public transporting all over the place, especially as we''l be driving home after the game ( neraly 2 hours) with a couple of younguns. cant believe they havent build a carpark near the stadium.

looks like I'll be watching it from the comfort of my loungeroom instead. thanks
and that's why I don't go anywhere near it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
There is a paid carpark in the Roma St transit centre.

we used to always park there for a game until they raised the price considerably and took advantage of game nights.

there is even a free bus that leaves from the front of it, if you do not want to walk up the hill.

cheers,

S

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
BIGKEV said:
Chermside is only a short run (10min) through Aspley down Gympie Rd once off the highway called 'Bruce'. I live just near the gateway/Bruce merge, Chermy will be fine.

The busses run straight to the game with pretty much only game patrons aboard. Then at the end of the game they have them lined up ready to clear the stadium, just filling one after the other until everyone is gone. It's a simple system that works well. As Indie noted, the bus trips are never boring, guaranteed to entertain the kids.
Kev is spot on. There is a bus station under Suncorp, and two hundred buses waiting along Milton road and in the city. It is so efficient BT take about 40 minutes to empty Suncorp of 50,000 fans. Do it Davey.

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks guys, my boy has footy at 9am Saturday morning so we head back home after the game. as mentioned its an hour and a half drive (plus whatever time spent stuffing around on public transport) so it would be a late arrival home if we do go down.

last year we stayed the night at a hotel in the centre of Brisbane and walked to the stadium, it was a great night and a great stadium to watch footy at, with NO BEER QUEUES (unheard of at Sydney stadiums!) and we had a great time. this year however it's all very short notice as some of my sons clubmates are playing at half time so we thought we'd try to go down and see them.

anyway thanks again for the help, I'll re-asses and see how the kids feel after getting home from school thisarvo.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Dave, think its all been said but I'll add my 2c.

For a big game footy experience there is nothing that matches the grave yard. Access is simply superb. Personally I would Park in the city and walk up. With kids in tow I might take a cab up. After the game, walk back to the car though, you're full of enthusiasm and chat at that stage and no one remembers the walk back.

Do it and enjoy.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
dru said:
Dave, think its all been said but I'll add my 2c.

For a big game footy experience there is nothing that matches the grave yard. Access is simply superb. Personally I would Park in the city and walk up. With kids in tow I might take a cab up. After the game, walk back to the car though, you're full of enthusiasm and chat at that stage and no one remembers the walk back.

Do it and enjoy.
This

I did it for the NSL final when the Strikers beat Sydney Utd 2-0

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.