Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Rik, I think a wetsuit is too warm for up your way. I have a 2-3mm steamer that I wear sometimes in winter. Mostly I am OK through winter with a thermal vest under a columbia shirt. Wear lightweight fishing pants. Only time I feel cold is with the backs of my legs getting wet, but tha't particular to my yak I think. The columbia shirt and lightweight trousers are excellent sun protection all year round. Don't even think about wearing shorts or short sleeves anymore.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Columbia, kokoda, shimano etc make lightweight vented shirts, sometimes with lots of pockets. The long-sleeved ones are ideal for fishing in hot sunny weather. The ones I have are comfortable on the hottest days. Some are SPF rated. The ones I have aren't but I've not gotten tanned or burnt through them. They are available from tackle stores, outdoor clothing stores and even some of the discount chains.

I dislike sunblock so am very happy to wear full length lightweight clothing, even if it gets wet, a floppy hat and polarised sunnies and just put sunblock on face, neck, hands and feet.

As an example, earlier this year my son came out on the yak on what turned out to be a hot sunny day. I had the full length clothing and floppy hat while he had short sleeve rashie and board shorts with liberal sunblock and a cap. I was comfortable, he was not. He especially suffered from the discomfort of the sun on his lower legs. Didn't get burnt but wasn't happy and it tired him out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.