Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently purchased two new storage pouches from Tackle Webs in the US. The quality seems top notch and they should prove ideal for the handy, yet secure, storage of regularly used items whilst afloat. For me, that'll include such items as pliers, bait elastic, line, hooks and minor items of end tackle.

The bags are sided for left and right fitment.The right hand pouch has dedicated secure storage for pliers and an additional smaller pouch for minor items. The left hand pouch is one large compartment with an upper Velcro strip so it can be secured in the closed position if required.

Right hand side pouch (above)

Left hand side pouch (above)

They are shaped to fit either side of the seat, the two photographs below show 'before & after' fitment.

There is plenty of room either side of my legs to permit items to be fitted within the pouches without restricting space within the cockpit.

Fitment is really straight forward. The areas either side of the seat were degreased with a suitable solvent, white spirit, etc. The bags are actually fitted to the sides of the kayak with adhesive Velcro strips. The adhesive seems exceptionally strong and you only effectively get one shot at fitting them into place!.

Once fitted, I used a towel to press firmly around the edges of the pouches to ensure that the Velcro firmly adhered to the hull. The Velcro does mean that the pouches could be removed, but why would you?. They are low profile when empty and weigh very little.

That's literally all there is to it!, fitment takes under 5 minutes. Although probably best suited to the storage of smaller items, it's provides some very valuable 'on deck' storage for those items that you always need to hand but would like neatly stored and secure.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I have a love/hate relationship with the side pockets on my revo.
Love having semi-secure storage close at hand for small, commonly used items like pliers, leader and snacks.
I hate the way they attach themselfs to any treble hook that gets near them, even when the barbs have been crushed.
Mine now have numerous holes where trebles have been surgically removed. I was hoping these pockets of yours might be a more hook friendly material, but it appears not.
I'm thinking of remaking mine from a cheap rubber bath mat (not the suction cup kind) from the $2 shop. I dad do them out of rubber mesh from an old net, but the mesh was tearing along the top.
Maybe I could find some way of reinforcing the top part...

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
spork said:
I have a love/hate relationship with the side pockets on my revo.

I'm thinking of remaking mine from a cheap rubber bath mat
did something similar using vinyl and will take a picture tomorrow and add it in here

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pilch said:
Hey Rob
I just checked out the Tackle Web site and the side pockets are not listed in their range? Have you got a link for th esupplier you went through??
They're on there!. Go into the shop then you have to go into the kayak section selected towarrds the top. I'm having trouble getting on the site at the moment so I cant be too precise i'm afraid.

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
spork said:
Thanks Dodge, I was thinking maybe vinyl if I can't find suitable rubber.
Not having a great love of side pockets 6 years ago I concocted a sporran to wear around my neck to hold small items near at hand, and original concept can be seen here viewtopic.php?f=95&t=5614&p=58249

About 2 years ago decided it was too hot around my neck in summer so removed the neck straps and just laid the bag near my leg when fishing, and able to move it around bodily as required but about 12 months ago after often being jabbed in the thigh with hooks, pliers and other stuff decide to make a pouch from vinyl

Up to the local upholsterer with a pattern made from A4 paper, asked him to make me one from any colour vinyl offcut he was stuck with [except black], 3 lines of stitches and no fancy piping as I did not want it to be stiff but be light and flexible, he said come back in a couple of days and it will be done.

Went back after a week and collected and price was "forget it mate, only took 3 minutes to make" the finished size is 250mm x 190mm

I took it home punched a hole to take tethers for braid scissors, and forceps, and stapled in place 3 x slices of pool noodle in case it goes over the side, this was float tested and is good, and after a years work needs no changes, it always carries surgical forceps to remove hooks from fish, braid scissors, tape measure, whistle, Silva compass, mirror, and also a small pair of pliers

Pictures are of old and new side by side, and the vinyl one opened a bit to show the noodle and pockets
IMG_1021.JPG
IMG_1022.JPG

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.