Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Hoping someone can help me out here.
I just bought some ST Turbo fins and masts for my revo. V2 mirage drive (purchased new in 2012)
I tried to remove the original masts, but the whole thing (mast AND brass bushing) are turning so I can't unscrew the masts.
Any suggestions on how I can hold the bushing still so I can unscrew the masts?
Thanks in advance.

G

·
Sounds like its under warranty or close. Try phoning your Hobie dealer before you fiddle with it any further.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you feel brave enough, apply some heat to the thread. Apparently they are glued in place and the heat loosens the glue. I did it with mine (just with a lighter and not enough to melt anything just to loosen the glue) and it worked brilliantly.

Adam

·
Registered
478 Posts
Yeah, it's a pain in the arse cause they're glued. Same problem when I upgraded mine, got em eventually but I thought I was going to bust them..

Good idea I think to take them to the dealer.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I went to the dealer today.
Was offered the sprockets, at about $19 each.
Ended up with a pair of ST fins and a refund.

Interestingly, the Turbo fin kits have come down from $140 to $110, and the ST fins have come down from $45 each to $30 each.
I'm probably better off with the ST's anyway, as I'm really good at finding lone tree stumps/rocks with my mirage drive, and the turbos would "help" me to find them even deeper, as well as placing more force (longer = more leverage) onto the masts to further improve my bendage rates.

At the end of the day, this left me with an extra $50 for lures! Everybody wins. :D

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
If you're going to go down the path of tinkering with it yourself, grab the plastic surrounding the brass insert with a vice or vice-grips to stop it turning. Ideally you would do this the first time you try and undo the shaft so the brass isn't loosened in the plastic.....unfortunately you don't know you need to until you either read about it on AKFF or its too late.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
You will probably find the speed difference between the ST's & Turbos is negligible anyway, plus there is less work required at your end. Good to hear the fin prices have dropped as one of mine has a tear at the bottom end.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey SharkNet, do you have the ST's or Turbo's that have torn at the bottom end?
I only ask because my local dealer did infact suggest I go for the shorter ST fins over the longer Turbo fins due to the fact that the longer fins have some over hang (past the mast) that often wears out or is damaged?! If you have the longer Turbo fins, you may have just supported his suggestion for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.