Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
i do have to admit , the question was tongue in cheek , and just for the hell of it , but by god i do love my Alvey , if you drop it in the salt water , well hell , that is cleaning it lol

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Got a soft spot for Alveys myself.
Absolutely bulletproof. Good for beginners, and numptys, like me.
I reckon with a big enough diameter you could get the line back quick enough for most the fishing I do. Problem is, I only catch little fish, so an alvey would feel like I was just skull-dragging them in.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
spork said:
Got a soft spot for Alveys myself.
Absolutely bulletproof. Good for beginners, and numptys, like me.
I reckon with a big enough diameter you could get the line back quick enough for most the fishing I do. Problem is, I only catch little fish, so an alvey would feel like I was just skull-dragging them in.
There is a 79 y.o. man called Dennis on the Gold Coast (Safa/Ant/Carnster/Nad97 all know him) who regularly goes out, surf launches, on an old glass ski at Palmy with two rods fitted with 6 "Alveys. He's caught some damn fine fish with them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As a kayak guy, I only take two spinning rods with me, but I've got a spare Tatula XT 7' Medium Fast that is currently without a reel.

My other two spinning reels do the brunt of my finesse work, primarily slower presentations: weightless plastics, shakyheads, Neko rigs on my Medium stick, and drop shot and Ned rig on my Medium light.

I was thinking of purposing the extra spinning rod for windy day jerkbaits, smaller cranks, and generally lighter fishingverge versions of my hard bait or wire bait repertoire.

Is there any benefit to stepping up or down from my standard 2500 sized spinning reels for those techniques on rough weather days?

21 - 24 of 24 Posts