Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been considering purchasing a sit on top kayak for fishing for quite same time. But have been wondering, how do they compare 'speed' wise with the traditional type 'plastic' sea kayaks. I have mainly been looking at Ocean Kayak Prowler Elite 4.5 or Scupper Pro Dive and the Viking Predator.

The reason I ask, is that several members of my family own traditional kayaks and I would like to know if I would be able to keep up with them while on trips, without using considerably more effort or consistently lagging behind.

Thanks
Thomas

· Registered
7,771 Posts
Thomas , as an owner of a tk1 , a sea kayak and a plastic sit on top, i feel that you would be at a considerable speed disadvantage, the longer waterline and the sleeker lines of the sea kayaks make them pretty slick through the water, even the prowlers , although a pretty fast kayak are wider and shorter than the sea kayaks, and you would be expending much more energy than your mates in the sea kayaks to try to keep up, one is built to basically cover kilometers quickly , the other to fish off, only my opinion , hope its of help :) :) :) :)

· Registered
1,252 Posts
Hi Thomas

If speed is what your after, go the long sleek model, but if you want to fish consider the monuverability (spelling?) of a sit on top, when fishing around snags etc you need to be pretty nimble.......decide whats best for you and what you really want it for.....you could always train hard and hit the weights to get a SOT moving quickly if concerned.

· Registered
1,349 Posts
ThomasW, unfortunately, you will most likely not be able to keep up with the others who have traditiional sea-going sit-in and slim kayaks. One of the reasons is you will have rods 'n reels, milk crates, tackle boxes, fish finder, landing net, lip grippers, munchies, camera to show forumites your fish pictures, more rods 'n reels and other stuff which weigh you down.

Another reason why you will be slower is that trolling lures not only adds extra drag but you may want to reduce your speed/detour close to some shoals/double back because you got a hit but no hookup and need to troll over the same area or simply because it takes ages to play those big ones that are eager to digest your lure.

The answer is to convert your friends and family to yak fishing.

· Registered
1,252 Posts
troppo said:
ThomasW, unfortunately, you will most likely not be able to keep up with the others who have traditiional sea-going sit-in and slim kayaks. One of the reasons is you will have rods 'n reels, milk crates, tackle boxes, fish finder, landing net, lip grippers, munchies, camera to show forumites your fish pictures, more rods 'n reels and other stuff which weigh you down.

Another reason why you will be slower is that trolling lures not only adds extra drag but you may want to reduce your speed/detour close to some shoals/double back because you got a hit but no hookup and need to troll over the same area or simply because it takes ages to play those big ones that are eager to digest your lure.

strange that troppo made more sence than me with that statement.

· Registered
1,252 Posts
troppo said:

strange that troppo made more sence than me with that statement *L*

· Registered
1,433 Posts
G'day Thomas,

I don't think a fishing SOT will ever compare in maintainable hull spped to a sea kayak. About the only possible exception I can think of might be the Hobie Adventure.

Having said that, PLASTIC SEA KAYAKS ARE NOT FAST BOATS. A good fibreglass or kevlar one is. I would be surprised if even the brilliant Adventure could keep up with a quality glass or kevlar boat over any great distance.

You can always convert a sea kayak and fish from it though. Ross (meoldchina) has done this very well and I have been fishing from a expedition sea kayak for quite a while. they are not quite as conveniet as a fishing SOT but still very fishable.

· Registered
7,771 Posts
Thomas, Mick makes a good point, my SIT IN SEA KAYAK . is fibreglass and quite a fast craft, its very smooth and glides very well , i also fish out of it and have done so for several years, i must admit , i have not caught much more than flathead out of it , because as i have just found out off this forum , i have been paddling too fast, i have fitted rod holders to it and its quite enjoyable to fish from, and if there not biting go for a blast :D :D :D

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice, it is what I expected to be the case.

I think I would trail a boat like the Cobra Expedition, being 5.5m long, 60cm wide and only 21.77kg and with a decent 192kg capacity.

Compared with the Prowler Elite 4.5 length of 4.5m, width 71cm, and a weight of 30.4kg, with a capacity of 230kg.

I have looked at and considered the Hobie Adventure but it is more then I really want to spend.

· Registered
7,800 Posts
the Cobra Expidition will be a fast yak, although at only 60cm wide, it will be fairly tippy. not ideal if your aim is to do any significant fishing from it

sea kayaks and boats built for speed with long waterline length and narrow beam are designed to go straight and fast, whereas fishing yaks / most SOTS are 'compromise' craft designed to do something different.

what you're asking here is will a ford falcon do what a ferrari can?

the answer is both yes and no, but if its outright speed then the answer in that dept is no.

good luck with the search. as troppo said , get your mates into fishing and the'yll want to slow down!

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My search would be a long one I expect, many options to consider.

At times I am tempted to purchase two kayaks, a Prowler Elite 4.5 for general fishing and diving. But for touring a traditional style boat. But the problem occurs what if I want to fish while touring..... would be quite expensive, so a single yak which does everything is probably the best option.

That makes the Cobra Expedition sound tempting, it has good pace, and would be a ok fishing platform. The same applies to the Preception Napali, slightly less pace but a decent fishing platform.

The Prowler Elite 4.5 is a good fishing platform but only with decent speed

The Hobie Adventure, with the paddle and the pedals provides great speed and a good fishing platform. But it is expensive.

· Registered
1,349 Posts
ThomasW, you may want to talk to Deaddrift as he uses a Cobra Expedition. http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3596

I almost bought one on Ebay since I am keen to do more ocean work with a bit of distance in it. I thought it may be a fair compromise between speed and fishing ability at rest. However, I am holding off to see what Fishmatics yak is like that he is going to be importing from South Africa.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have looked at the South African Kaskazi Dorado and the Pelican. Look like good boats, they are shorter and slightly wider then the Cobra Expedition. Being made out of Fibreglass should make them quite quick.

The quoted 'weights' claim that they are heavier then the Cobra, but they could be weighing different 'set-ups'.

Without transport and import costs they are quite reasonable ($1350 AUD for the Dorado). But I suspect that is likely to jump considerably when these costs are included.

· Registered
645 Posts
You beat me to the punch Thomas. Fishmatics on this forum has been working with a South African company to make a fibreglass sit on top that should move along alright too if you don't want to go through the hassles & cost of importing.

Have a look around on this forum & I'm sure you'll find the info on it including some pictures.

I love my Scupper but I've looking lustfully at those Kaskazis for awhile now. :wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.