Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The train driver has been arrested.

This may be political expediency to quell the anger of the masses as he would be the easiest target. A lot of people will be ducking for cover.

I have viewed the video many times. I have come to the following conclusions
  • The train is not travelling at excessive speed as the locomotive appears quite stable.
    The first carriage dips towards the curve centre momentarily before rolling to the outside of the curve taking following carriages with it.
    This indicates that there may have been a track fault such as a rail failure, but more likely an equipment failure to the suspension of the leading wheelset resulting in instability of the lead bogie.
    The failure may be due to a broken axle, a suspension spring becoming dislodged or broken, failure of the air bag suspension if fitted.
    Also equipment may have fallen from the locomotive disrupting the wheelset behaviour.

Regards

Ian

·
Registered
86 Posts
The driver has admitted speeding.
The locomotive will be more stable than the carriages as the centrifugal force has to overcome gravitational force before it will leave the track.
As the locomotive is heavy it will have more gravitational force to overcome than the carriages.
The carriages attached to the locomotive will be held into place and the carriages further down would have the flexibility to fly off the track.

Although this is not exactly correct it is the simplest way of explaining it.

Pete

·
Registered
826 Posts
HAWKEYE3 said:
The train is not travelling at excessive speed as the locomotive appears quite stable.
One of the drivers who became trapped in the cab after the accident told railway officials by radio shortly after the crash that the train had taken the bend at 190km/h an hour, unidentified investigation sources told El Pais newspaper.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/world-news/camer ... z2a6UKptyE
190 Kph in a zone that should be 80Kph. That is pretty excessive....

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
The only thing I get from the video is that was one terrifying experience!
Ho-ly sheeee-it.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
DennisT said:
190 Kph in a zone that should be 80Kph. That is pretty excessive....
People are speeding in our street again (always), so I rang the local police to see if they could help. They came yesterday and got someone doing 96 km/hr in a 50 km/hr zone.

I believe that is automatic loss of licence. Is it the same for train drivers?

A few questions to the technocrats (assuming speed above the posted/engineered speed limit increases the risk of a crash):

With the GPS technology of Sat Navs in modern cars, I understand that they can give an audible warning if you exceed the speed limit for your current location. Is it possible to incorporate technology that automatically applies the brakes to restore the speed limit to the maximum speed limit for that location? I'm thinking from my experience of driving heavy vehicles, where the brakes were applied automatically (independent of the driver having accelerator floored) to prevent a 100 km/hr over-speed.

Surely this can't be that hard to do this in cars? Would the rev-head forums protest over such technology? Maybe sales of super cars would suffer, though many modern cars can easily exceed 160 km/hr.

Could it also be fitted to trains (I think there are warnings about overspeed in some commercial aircraft (Velocity never exceed - VNE).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Kayakone

It is feasible to control car speeds using navsat technology. Do you really think that our government wants to stop deaths on our roads? Speeding is a major source of revenue and deaths on our roads fuel their propaganda agenda.

Road deaths are one of the least likely ways of dying from a preventable cause. But how does a government fine you for over eating and not exercising.

It should be illegal not to go kayaking.

Pete

·
Registered
943 Posts
read and pay attention to the story peeps.
The track area has a 80kph speed limit.
The train was travelling between 150 and 192kph.
The second carriage is actually a diesel locomotive that derailed first, by far the heaviest car on the track and most likely the one with the highest centre of gravity.
So many facts out there that are easy to find yet overlooked twice as easily.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Tonystott

Where did the "Here we go again, speed does not kill" rant from?
I looked through the posts and can not find where anybody has said, "Speed does not kill"

Peter Brock giving road safety tips? Is this the same Peter Brock that drove too fast, ran off a road, hit a tree and killed himself?

Pete

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Tonystott said:
Vehicle speed limiters will have one effect - most people will drive at the limited speed no matter what the conditions (see above and witness speed limited trucks) and just as importantly, will have the capability to accelerate out of a dangerous situation denied them.

Food for thought (from someone who has spent a bit of time on the racetrack as a competitor and advanced driving instructor).
What a load of tripe.
Try going to a country that has little speed limit enforcement and trucks are not speed limited.
The other day I was driving in incredible heavy rain. I dropped my speed to 90-100 in a 110 zone. I had 3 pick-ups and 2 semis blast past me at 130+ within the 2 minutes or so that the rain lasted. Sure, speed limiters would not have made them drop to 90, but they would only have been doing 110.
I've seen loaded logging trucks doing 140kmh on single lane roads in wet conditions.
The acceleration thing is easy, you get 10 seconds of above speed limit acceleration. If you are still in trouble after 10 seconds, then what the heel were you doing???

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi again Tony

I realise where kayakone was wrong. Speed does not kill. It's the sudden stop.

Peter Brock was driving on a public road above the speed limit that it was designed for. Proper racing tracks do not have trees in them.

[mod edit: please play the topic and not the person presenting their opinions guys]
Pete

·
Registered
280 Posts
While keeping in mind that this was a horrible tragedy,

I'm somewhat impressed that you guys have managed to derail a derailment thread.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Jeffen said:

I'm somewhat impressed that you guys have managed to derail a derailment thread.
Off Topic is a microcosm of all tragedy. Or a preschool sandpit - jury's out.

·
Registered
280 Posts
sbd said:
Jeffen said:

Off Topic is a microcosm of all tragedy. Or a preschool sandpit - jury's out.
Doubly correct there - those views are not mutually exclusive.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Jeffen said:

So not all that unusual Jeffen .... little boys have a short attention span. :lol: One thing you can be sure of is that it happens at speed. :lol:

(I am not without guilt)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Jeffen

Tragedy X Time = humour
A standard comedy equation. Maybe wait awhile before the derailment joke next time.
Mods didn't mind, so must be OK

Sorry Mods I am a complete idiot. Am I allowed to attack myself?
Speed does not kill only inappropriate speed kills.
So, if a person runs off the road at 100 Ks per hour and hits a tree because they are speeding they will not be killed.
But, if a person runs off the road at 100 Ks per hour and hits a tree because they are inappropriately speeding they will be killed.
Sorry but in my pee brained little mind, how does the tree know the difference?

Also I didn't attack anyone, or insult anyone, all I did was admit I was a complete idiot and offering the title to someone else.

Pete

·
Registered
280 Posts
It is often difficult to convey intent on a forum where you are limited to written words.

I can assure you it was a sombre observation, and not an attempt at humour.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.