Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fishos and fishettes.
Since getting a 2nd 'yak, I've been looking at getting a 2nd sounder.
Jen isn't that fussed if she has one or not - but there will be times I use "her" kayak - and I l need all the info I can get to help me find the fish!

I was thinking perhaps a Lowrance 5x DSI, so I could use it on the Revo as well (4xDSI tranny installed), but after some reading on Lowrance's (IIRC) site, I'm now under the impression that DSI is better suited for rivers, estuaries and lakes, where I want to find and identify structure, but for "offshore" I might be better with a non-DSI unit. Reason being a "normal" sounder will still show depth, and reef and weed-beds (albeit with less detail) but will be superior for showing bait and fish.
Of course, a decent monochrome sounder will do this as well, but I think a colour one will make identifying the type of bottom easier, and be easier to see.

Are my assumptions above correct?
The Garmin 300c gets some good reports on here. What other models are people using and loving?
I'd love an "all in one" with DSI, non-DSI, side-scan, chartplotter, etc. all in one unit - but not willing to spend that much $ at the moment.

edit:
Forgot to say, if my assumptions are correct, I'll be putting my current sounder (4x DSI) on the outback, for "inshore" and fresh water use, and putting the new sounder on the Revo for "offshore".

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm no expert but I suspect the main difference may be depth range. The dsi units may struggle in deeper water. I was using my 5 dsi on the kayak in the local lake on Sat and some fish were even distinctly fish shaped on the screen. It's remarkable. I don't think they have any trouble showing fish or bait balls.
Cheers
James

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I grabbed a Lowrance Elite-x5 today for a good price.
I had planned to put the non - DSI colour sounder on my Revo and move the DSI from the Revo to the outback - but I think this thing is too big for the Revo, and the DSI on it is already installed and works well - so this one will be going on the outback.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.