Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been doing a bit of travelling for work lately (bit too much). Recently went into the desert of Oman in the Middle East. Six hours by FWD back into the desert (almost to UAE) from Muscat was where I spent a bit more than a week.

This is one of the hottest and barren places on the earth. Daytime temps were at least 48 C everyday with one warm day getting supposedly to 54 C. Fishing was the very last thing that I thought that I would be engaging in. However within two hours of arriving on site (an oilfield) I had hooked up with a guy who mentioned a small lake that is kept topped up with recycled water and he had caught some carp from there. Although carp are not high on my list of sought after species, the novelty of angling in such an unlikely location proved irrisistable, therefore in the coolness of the evening (dropped to probably 45 C) I set forth with some borrowed gear.

Six brightly colored carp were the result. Sight fishing employing a weightless floating bread crust was the order of the day. I tried to catch one of each color, I think I almost got the whole set. Each fish fought surprisingly well despite the fact that the water must have been at least 40 C.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Ya giving up Yak Fishing to take up the new and fandangled sport of Camel Fishing Kevin :shock: :?: Where do ya stick the rod holders on those things :?: I hope we can whoo ya back into the fold. :wink: Nice Carp...never thought I'd say that about a carp..but very pretty colors on that fella. 54 degrees is a wonder they survive in those temps...that little lake must get like a cup of tea. Geez ya get around :shock: :D

·
Registered
729 Posts
PoddyMullet said:
Ya giving up Yak Fishing to take up the new and fandangled sport of Camel Fishing Kevin
I like your thinking Poddy. I read an article recently about horseback fishing :D

So did you practice C&R Kevin. I suspect they haven't been declared as a noxious species in Oman :lol:

·
Registered
655 Posts
Bloody hell Kevin you are everywhere mate.

Thanks for the post it made me think how not every body goes home the same way everyday. You sure move around alot. Where is your next stop and what exactly is it that you do on the oil rigs.

:D fishing Russ

·
Registered
395 Posts
Nice one Kev!
I can't imagine that sort of heat. Is it so hot you don't even sweat?
What's the white stones on the ridge, an old lake shoreline?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts