Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for sharing Rob. Satisfying when something that you know is good is validated.
The beauty is that you are empowered to heal yourself when you need to.
Another life skill that could be taught in schools.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Interesting read Dig. How did you learn to meditate? Did you self teach or spend some time with a swami?

Got to agree with the benefits of exercise for mental health. Exercise, fresh air and wide open spaces are valuable tools.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Research has gone into meditation and it has a great effect, it is called the Placebo Effect, as long as you feel what you are doing is making you feel better, it actually does.
In some cases they have found that giving people drugs or giving people a substance that they tell them is a drug has the same effect.

Being a fitness trainer, I do a lot of exercise. I feel better for it, but is it a mental improvement. And, does that mental improvement increase my actual fitness level?

Do what you feel is best for you.
Pete

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Hey Dig. First off sorry about your dog. I read once that the grief associated with losing a pet is stronger than that associated with a human passing on. The arguement was that we generall only have positive feelings about animals (aside from when they sh!t on the carpet) whereas with humans it's a far more comeplex range of emotions. Agree or disagree but it sucks when your pet dies.

Re meditation. I don't do it. However, was struggling to deal with a lot of stress at work this year and found it difficult to switch off I.e my brain never got a rest. Saw a quack about it and he told me about a very simple technique he called Mindfullness. I didn't read up on it too much but simply followed the examples he gave.

The idea is to regularly throughout the day immerse yourself completely in some very simple thought, experience, feeling for a couple of minutes. For example in the shower concentrating on the experience of the water hitting your skin rather than planning your day (easy jokes to be had here! :)) or when walking on cobblestones concentrating on the individual points of pressure through your shoes. Sunshine on your face, taste of your tea, etc.

I found this to be amazingly beneficial and try to do it throughout my day. Just a minute or two of not thinking of the hundred things I have to do gives my noodle a much needed rest.

I don't know if that qualifies as meditation but imagine there are parallels. Given how helpful I find that technique I am certain that meditation must be very helpful. Glad it does the trick for you & thanks for posting your experience.

Gary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.