Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this discussion with a customer at work today. We can in most places not carry an open beer in public, yet we can smoke and as such force non smokers to be passive smokers. We can't smoke in pubs and clubs due to the passive smoking concerns for staff. I am keen to hear your opinions.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used to be a proper smoker. Now i will have the occasional one if i have been drinking and are surrounded by smokers. I guess i am not like a normal ex smoker in that the smell doesn't generally bother me. I let passengers smoke in my car if they have the window down and make at least a token effort to blow it outside. Does that make me a fence sitter?

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Scott said:
I used to be a proper smoker. Now i will have the occasional one if i have been drinking and are surrounded by smokers. I guess i am not like a normal ex smoker in that the smell doesn't generally bother me. I let passengers smoke in my car if they have the window down and make at least a token effort to blow it outside. Does that make me a fence sitter?
No, a fence smoker ;-)

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
When I was younger and sillier I would have the ocassional smoke, usually when letting my hair down, maybe a packet a year. Now days I don't touch them although I wont say I'll never touch another one for the rest of my life.

In open spaces I don't care too much about others smoking because it's not a situation I find myself in often and I can just avoind them. When people smoke in places I consider innapropriate, like school functions, around kids, places where the fresh air is part of the reason people are there, then I get pretty peeved (but don't say anything).

While I'm pretty easy going, I really can't see the sense of smoking and can't help being judgmental about people who do. It;s a bit like drinking a little bit of poison every day or hitting your head with a hammer or cutting yourself....it just doesn't make sense to inhale chemical laden smoke for recreation.

I'm kinda happy that smoking is less tolerated by many these days.

Having said all that, I do lots of things that don't make sense so who am I to judge I guess.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If I were to tear off a massive loud smelly fart within close proximity to other people in a public place I would be looked upon as a disgusting ignorant pig and this is how I view smokers, if you have to do it then pick your place and consider others and we are all sweet, each to their own.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Both SWMBO and I suffer from allergic rhinitis to cigarette smoke. That is to say, it block our noses up. She gets it worse than me and loses all sense of taste if someone smokes within about 100m of her. Sometimes it will cause her a majoy headache if it's stong enough. If you are going to smoke outside, it would be nice if you were aware of other people around you.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
scott, this will sound odd but i still smoke 1 or 2 individual smokes a month, rollies only, champion ruby or white ox.
i have no idea why , i think its an oral thing.

smokers are the public whipping boy and its just gunna get worse.
like crime, governments now know, theres votes in being tough on smokers, so its the tyranny of mob rule (aka democracy).

to be honest, i'd rather they raised the drinking age to 21 as a public health measure and feel this is far more appropriate.
i suppose their polling figures tell them this would be unpopular.

i wouldnt advise anyone to take up the ciggies now days, they'll probably hit $50 a pack reasonably soon.
theres a lot of talk about economic value in terms of lives saved by stopping smokes.
some conflicting data.
early death at 50 is probably a bad thing for the economy, death at 65 is a different thing.

the rates in most of our asian neighbours are sky rocketing.

will be interesting to see if they tackle it as an economic issue.

though , the chinese docs i work with say the central communist commitee of china couldnt care less.
90 % of the people with lung cancer in china die without ever having 1 days hospital treatment. funny system , chinese communism, quite capatilistic and even basic services we just assume we have, are not available without pinning a few hundred US dollars to your medicare card.

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
grinner said:
i wouldnt advise anyone to take up the ciggies now days, they'll probably hit $50 a pack reasonably soon.
Funny with the big price numbers, because I gave smoking away when they said Winfield were going to increase to $1.75 for a pack of 25. That price increase was the trigger needed to finally kick the habit after many earlier failed attempts at quitting.

G

·
I was a heavy smoker for 15 years. A pack of 25 a day, two if I was drinking. I gave it up around the birth of our son. It was difficult but as Dodge says, you just need a catalyst that is strong enough to make you want to do it. We didn't want him being brought up in that environment. Now, after being smoke free for 18 months, I find the smell repulsive. I still think that people should have free choice as to whether they smoke or not but I'll actively move if someone is smoking near me. I haven't been in a situation since where it has been a major issue, mostly walking to work in the city and coming to a stop at traffic lights.

What I have noticed is a marked increase in my sense of smell and taste. I couldn't believe it. Well I can, but not to the degree its made a difference. As a result of smoking for so long, I couldn't remember having a sense of smell. Now I can smell the weirdest things. Not always good but its almost like gaining an entirely new awareness. I can only just imagine how incredible it must be to for a deaf person to have a bionic ear installed or someone with cataracts having eye surgery. The difference in that would be quite remarkable.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RekFix said:
Bertros said:
Far from a fan of smoking in public places, but geeze it gets my goat up when a smoker flicks the butt onto the street when finished and sees nothing wrong in doing so.
This
This has almost resulted in the shit being kicked out of me on more than one occasion. We are in Hobart. Less than a kilometre down hill is the harbour and these peckers throw buts or empty their ash trays into the gutter. It doesn't take Einstein to figure that the first bit of rain, all of these buts are going in to the harbour. I really have to learn to keep my mouth shut and hide my disgust better around these guys (and often girls).

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
They need to develop a clean burning cigarette, like the new fireplaces.
It bugs me when I have to take clothes to the dry cleaner because they smell of cigarette smoke.
I'm amazed that so many kids still want to try it.

I smoked from 12 to 17, I wonder how tall I would have been :)

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I smoked 30-40 cigs a day for 20 years and quit 9 years ago, the other technician where I work, smokes in the shop and customers are allowed to smoke in the shop as well, must be the only place left in Australia.
Doesn't bother me at all unless it blows straight in your face. I still love the smell of Port Royal.
I am glad its not allowed in pubs and clubs but I couldn't care less if someone lights up outside, the cigarette but thing is a problem though.
I had a puff of an E cigarette the other day and was surprised at how realistic it was, you could feel the drawback and visible vapour comes out as well, totally harmless to the environment and others around.
I'd like to see what would happen if you smoked one in a public place, :D
Weird thing is they are apparently illegal in Australia cos they do use nicotine if you want to, shame cos I think many people would be able to quit using these.
If the Government really wanted you to quit why don't they just ban it,(obviously tax reasons) or at least make patches and substitutes far more affordable.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
nezevic said:
I was a heavy smoker for 15 years. A pack of 25 a day, two if I was drinking. I gave it up around the birth of our son. It was difficult but as Dodge says, you just need a catalyst that is strong enough to make you want to do it. We didn't want him being brought up in that environment. Now, after being smoke free for 18 months, I find the smell repulsive. I still think that people should have free choice as to whether they smoke or not but I'll actively move if someone is smoking near me. I haven't been in a situation since where it has been a major issue, mostly walking to work in the city and coming to a stop at traffic lights.

What I have noticed is a marked increase in my sense of smell and taste. I couldn't believe it. Well I can, but not to the degree its made a difference. As a result of smoking for so long, I couldn't remember having a sense of smell. Now I can smell the weirdest things. Not always good but its almost like gaining an entirely new awareness. I can only just imagine how incredible it must be to for a deaf person to have a bionic ear installed or someone with cataracts having eye surgery. The difference in that would be quite remarkable.
An honest admission Jon, and an encouragement for those trapped in the addiction. Thanks for your courage to post this. :)

BTW, I see you are even greener than before. Thanks for taking on the (voluntary) job.

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
kayakone said:
an encouragement for those trapped in the addiction.
Trev if you like quitting smoking threads loaded with encouragement, you should appreciate this old one, covers a couple of years of various AKFFers and their personal battles to quit

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5595

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
salticrak said:
Does anyone here see the elephant in the room? Go to your local emergency ward tonight from say 11pm?
I take it you're saying that, on the scale of stupid antisocial things that people can do, there are bigger problems than smoking?

Probably some merit in that statement.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.