Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help with the sort of size outfit I should be looking at for flicking spinner baits around? Against the better advice I received from AKFFers I bought a baitcaster outfit which I dislike intensely and want to get a spinning outfit that does a similar job.

Not too worried about brand etc, just looking for recommendations on weight, length, size of rod, reel and braid.

Help appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You cant go wrong with a graphite rod between the 6-8 (yellowbelly), 8 or 8-10kg range (murray cod). Don't go too long in the length of the rod 6'2'' max.
I have recently made a new rod 6-8kg. It flicks lures nicely and pulls in some nice yellas and medium sized cod. I think it would struggle with a 75cm + cod though (unfortunately haven't hooked one on this new rod).
Rods around that range should suit.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I disagree on the rod length. Go longer, you never know when you'll need to cast a wide section of river, especially around here. It's also handy for walking around snags It's more versatile that way. If you are targetting goldens more than cod go a 3-5kg. Get a 2500kg reel that'll do about 7kg of drag. So a stradic Ci4 or a Certate or something. 10-15lb braid and you should be fine.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
koich said:
I disagree on the rod length. Go longer, you never know when you'll need to cast a wide section of river, especially around here. It's also handy for walking around snags It's more versatile that way. If you are targetting goldens more than cod go a 3-5kg. Get a 2500kg reel that'll do about 7kg of drag. So a stradic Ci4 or a Certate or something. 10-15lb braid and you should be fine.
Thanks Koich. Funnily enough, since posting this, I picked up a 7"2 3-6kg with a 2500 reel. :)

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
punchanello said:
koich said:
Thanks Koich. Funnily enough, since posting this, I picked up a 7"2 3-6kg with a 2500 reel. :)
Pretty much what I use only I go 2-4kg, 6'6" and a 2500. I've stopped a 1m cod with this only ever been busted off once with 10lb mainline.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.