Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sounds ill prepared. just buy and go.

also, i'll bet its a sit in, not a sit on.

A SEARCH continues for a man who went missing while on a solo kayaking trip along the NSW's far north coast.

Police said 40-year-old Scott Marshall was dropped off by his mother on Tuesday at Burleigh Heads in Queensland where he purchased a kayak.

He planned to kayak about 100km south to Ballina in NSW but police were alerted after he failed to arrive.

Police assisted by a rescue helicopter conducted a land and sea search on Friday, concentrated around Tweed Heads and Snapper Rocks.

Police are appealing for anyone with information on Mr Marshall's whereabouts to come forward.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/na ... z2SrT0voS8

·
Registered
27 Posts
He has been found, camped on the Tweed River as it was too rough. Kayak was a Prijon Millennium Sea Kayak. According to some reports he had no safety gear and was affected by sunstroke.

http://www.dailyexaminer.com.au/news/rescue-chopper-joins-search-for-missing-kayaker/1863138/

UPDATE 3pm: A BALLINA kayaker who was reported missing off the Far North Coast has been found safe and well.

Scott Marshall, 41, was spotted off Tweed Heads at about 2pm.

He had initially planned to paddle to Ballina after buying the kayak on Tuesday, but after encountering rough seas it is understood he retreated to the safety of the Tweed River and camped.

Mr Marshall told police he did not have money to call his family and inform them he was safe over the past three days.

Shortly before he was found, police said Mr Marshall had set out from Jack Evans boat harbour at Tweed Heads yesterday and was later seen fishing from his kayak at snapper rocks.

UPDATE 11.58pm: A MASSIVE air and sea search is underway to locate a 41-year-old Ballina man who has been missing in waters off the coast since Tuesday.

At 10am the Westpac Life Saver Rescue Helicopter joined water police to the search for the kayaker. It understood he set out from Tallebudgera Creek, on the southern Gold Coast, on Tuesday at midday.

His destination was to be Ballina. It is not known whether the man was experienced in kayaking in the open sea.

Owner of Tweed Heads kayak shop WakenSurf, Moti Levy, said he had not heard about the search but hoped the missing man was just tired. He said conditions in the water at the time the man went missing were good, with flat seas and clear water.

The Prijon Millennium Sea Kayak is 5.2m long with a white hull and yellow deck.

More information to come.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Nice kayak but not well thought out trip :shock: I am sure most people would do a familiarisation journey before going 100km and top up the phone credit ! Well really if his phone wasn't flat his Mum could call him ?

·
Registered
160 Posts
And did the rescue crew not think to dial a number or two? Seems like a lot of [xxxx] and money for not much return.. Hopefully there is more to it and ther is still a bit of dosh left if I ever need a rescue!

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
It doesn't actually say he even had a mobile phone - just that he didn't have money to call his family - suggests he would have been looking for a phone box
Good luck with that, especially if he was "affected by sunstroke"
Sunstroke - yeah ...

Hopefully he has money to pay for the S&R operation

Also, might be a bit cruel, but a 41 year old being dropped off by his mum to buy a kayak and then paddle it home from Burleigh Heads to Ballina?
Um wha?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Glad he is ok!

Such an odd story though! Like they are always saying on the crime shows, "This raises more questions than answers" ( Or something like that)

Cheers all andybear :shock:

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
anselmo said:
It doesn't actually say he even had a mobile phone - just that he didn't have money to call his family - suggests he would have been looking for a phone box
Good luck with that, especially if he was "affected by sunstroke"
Sunstroke - yeah ...

Hopefully he has money to pay for the S&R operation

Also, might be a bit cruel, but a 41 year old being dropped off by his mum to buy a kayak and then paddle it home from Burleigh Heads to Ballina?
Um wha?
Yep. Sounds a bit suss.

The cost would have to be in the tens of thousands (one Bell 416 has an operating cost with crew of maybe $ 3,000/hour, a Squirrel $ 1500/hr). Plus the fixed wings, plus the Coastguard/VMR/police.....

My thinking is, it may be NOT long before such an act results in a bill to the perpetrator.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Sounds to me like he got his aspirations/ambitions mixed up with his capabilities... I wonder how long he thought that the 100klm trip would take to paddle?

I bet it didn't take long for him to realise that it just wasn't going to happen.

Didn't even have adequate sun protection...

I'm glad for him that he's OK... Don't you think that there should be some kind of safety awareness questions asked by those who sell these craft?

Jimbo

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Beekeeper said:
Don't you think that there should be some kind of safety awareness questions asked by those who sell these craft?

Jimbo
No. Mission impossible, politically, legally and morally.

Guy walks into a kayak store. "I'd like to buy a kayak."
"What sort of kayaking do you have in mind?"
"Sea kayaking."
"We have a range of them here, between $ 1,500 and $ 5,000. (Open ocean or protected waters? What is your experience level? Do you have safety equipment? What skills do you have? blah,blah.... ?? WTF. What are you going to ask him?)

"I have $ 3,000. I'll take that one, thank you.

(Do you have a PFD? PLB? Whistle? Flag? VHF? blah, blah...?? WTF. What are you going to ask him?)

Man goes sea kayaking.

S & R spend $ 50,000 looking for him. In some countries he would be charged for that cost. I can't see any other answer, and especially not at the store, because some of the staff don't even kayak, let alone be kayak safety aware, nor have the will to ask such questions.

Only one week ago I saw six kayakers up to a kilometer offshore without PFD's, all in one hour. I reckon with SOT's and the cheap prices, we will see much more of this soon, including deaths. It is IMO inevitable, and impossible to prevent, but I do wish there was a way.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It's not only a matter of safety, the person selling the kayak should use safety as an add on sale.

For example the management of a department store noticed that Reginald had twice as many sales than anyone else. So, they decided to hide around the corner and find out why he sold so much.

"This rod he told the customer is the best fishing rod out" "I'll take it" the customer said.
"You will need some soft plastic lures" the client bought.
"This reel has a very good action and a must for serious fishers." The client bought it.
So did the client buy the Fishing Bag, a Kayak, a Sounder, a GPS, a PFD, flares, all the Reginald suggested.

Finally the client walked out with thousands of dollars worth of gear.

The General Manager jumped out from behind his hiding place and said, "Congratulations, he only came in to buy a fishing rod and you sold him all that gear."
"No he didn't," replied Reginald. "He came in the buy some Tampons for his wife, and I said since your weekends stuffed, you may as well go fishing."

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
CET said:
It's not only a matter of safety, the person selling the kayak should use safety as an add on sale.

For example the management of a department store noticed that Reginald had twice as many sales than anyone else. So, they decided to hide around the corner and find out why he sold so much.

"This rod he told the customer is the best fishing rod out" "I'll take it" the customer said.
"You will need some soft plastic lures" the client bought.
"This reel has a very good action and a must for serious fishers." The client bought it.
So did the client buy the Fishing Bag, a Kayak, a Sounder, a GPS, a PFD, flares, all the Reginald suggested.

Finally the client walked out with thousands of dollars worth of gear.

The General Manager jumped out from behind his hiding place and said, "Congratulations, he only came in to buy a fishing rod and you sold him all that gear."
"No he didn't," replied Reginald. "He came in the buy some Tampons for his wife, and I said since your weekends stuffed, you may as well go fishing."
Not too bad. Please move this to the Joke thread.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
kayakone said:
I reckon with SOT's and the cheap prices, we will see much more of this soon, including deaths. It is IMO inevitable, and impossible to prevent, but I do wish there was a way.
We said the same thing 20 years ago when climbing gyms started. "This will lead to overconfidence and lots of inexperienced climbers taking on things they can't handle, leading to lots of rescues and deaths. Mark my words." We all said (we being the old timers from the school of experience and hard knocks).

It never happened. More people started climbing. Most were better than us. It sucked.

There will be more kayak rescues simply because of the number of people doing it has increased by an order of magnitude. How many people are being 'rescued' from obesity or depression because of it. Hell, this guy got away from his mum for a few days (I'm joking OK). People generally have a well developed fear centre. This guy is a case in point.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.