Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

SE QLD - Safety Day # 3 - Sunday 13th October 2013

25K views 83 replies 31 participants last post by  kayakone 
#1 ·
I'm planning another Safety Day in mid October.

The last two were of enormous benefit to all attendees. You will learn a lot of valuable info to help keep you safe from injury, and also techniques for re-entries, broken paddle, injured/sick etc ... all sorts of things that could save your butt one day.

Who's in for this one?

#3 ·
Muzfox said:
Depending on where/when etc I'd be very interested in this. As a newbie to Kayaking, I have practiced basic re-entry etc, but I'm sure I would learn an invaluable amount of information from a day like this. So a tentative yes from me. Is it byo yak? Obviously I would like to use my own as that is what I use :)

Murray
@Murray
The day (morning) will be held at a gently shelving sandy beach at Scarborough, at the north end of the Redcliffe Peninsula.
It is BYO kayak, as you own one. However, it does not exclude those without a kayak at that stage .... there will be spare kayaks to borrow for the morning's training.
It will be much more than an opportunity to learn valuable safety skills, as I envisage some local suppliers may also a range of kayaks to try out.

There may be lunch and drinks supplied for all attendees and friends and families, provided I can arrange that again.

@Lapse
How does Sunday 13 th October sound Alex?

@systemtester
Good to see you are keen. This stuff can be a lifesaver. Sunday it is! :)

#5 ·
The date is SUNDAY 13th October (regardless of weather on the day). The worse the weather, the more realistic the self rescue scenarios. (Family may want to re-consider under bad weather conditions).

Re family, the beach is good for little kids getting wet. There are extensive bike tracks in both directions. Four kilometres S there is a free public pool at Redcliffe on the foreshore (like a mini South Bank pool).

Fishing: The Scarby reefs are minutes away, and a pre training session fish is a distinct possibility for early starters.

Please bookmark this date now, and please commit on the forum, so qualified instructor numbers and lunch catering can be planned in advance. Only highly qualified sea kayak instructors will run the training (Australian Canoeing qualified). You are assured of professional level instruction dedicated to safety as the highest priority.

#11 ·
All welcome, regardless of experience or yak type.

You will take away life and injury saving skills. :D

It is especially good to see new members, and some novices, committing to this training. However, more experienced kayak fishos should look at doing this training too (a few already in). On previous Safety Days some experienced fishos (Nad 97; Lazybugger; DennisT; Indiedog; Action Surf, etc) have attended, and have drawn great benefits from the training.

Previous attendees, in the interest of encouraging others, ......Care to pass comments?

#12 ·
Definately a worth while event.

I attended last years event - froze my nuts off, lost some sunnies - but gained so much more in return.

I highly recommend this Safety day to anyone thinking about it - regardless of experience levels ( those with a lot of experience - this is an opportunity to give back to the community by sharing your knowledge. And those with little experience - its a great way to learn as well as meet new people)

I will be attending this one for sure.

I hope to see a few familiars as well as some new faces...

#15 ·
Attendees to date....

Beejay (Noosa Yakkers) (Brian)
Beekeeper (Jimbo)
Bradv (Brad)
brc226 (Rob)
Cav
cjbfisher (Chris)
David73
Divins (Doug)
Duggo
DennisT (Dennis)
Isobar (Ido - also on Noosa Yakkers) + friend
jfish87
Jimmybro and Dennis
John (friend of Killer)
kingambrose (Greg)
Marlo (friend of Couta101)
Lapse (Alex) and Kirsty
LiamS + friend Rylin
nuts
Qyak
SThomo
systemtester
Teo (Matteo)
Thegaff (Adam)

Brissyfisho (all following on KFDU)
Feral
Fleetfeet
emurano
ikayak
J-P
Kevinnugent (Kevin)
Kunde
Lachiemack (Lachie)
metallica_mosher
mouse (Kym) + son?
neebs
ozjoel
rollerboy
scatman
submdi (Mark and Juvy)

This is lifesaving info morning, but sadly is now closed to new attendees.

#16 ·
Sunday 13th October is getting closer. Anyone else from the forum (or friends) want to learn some valuable safety stuff? Please, let us hear from you.

Please express your interest here soon, to assist with planning for both instructors and the catering (lunch is included)(family members can also be catered for if we know well in advance). Ensure you bookmark the date.

Also, a reminder, that there will be a variety of kayaks available to try out, after the safety training and lunch are over. These will be supplied by a number of SE Qld retailers (three big ones are coming). If you do not have a kayak and would like to attend, you are welcome to use one of the demo kayaks for the safety training.

#17 ·
Lapse said:
Hey Trev, Kirsty and I are good for the 13th!
On the list Alex. See you then, if not before.

#21 ·
mattbris10 said:
Hi Trev, I am keen, but I cannot commit this far out due to work.

Cheers
Matt
See if you can make it Matt....there is loads of valuable stuff to learn and take with you. At the end of the day you will be much safer on the water than ever before.

There will be few in your position with uncertainty about their work or family etc, who cannot decide till just before the event. It will be OK to turn up short notice, and there will be several demo kayaks if you're stuck in that regard.

The commercial people coming along are contributing all the gourmet food and drinks (we hope :D ), so those who do know for sure are best to commit and register soon, rather than last minute. This makes the catering a lot easier for the sponsors.

Another factor in the planning is the instructor to attendee ratio. We need commitment, i.e. known numbers of attendees, to plan for this well in advance (highly qualified instructors are not in large numbers, nor instantly available).

#26 ·
wow, i'm in, this sounds like a great day! i've been kayaking for about a year or so and never really thought to much about safety (grown up around the water most my life, plus am a good swimmer) which i know it sounds naive, but me been on a kayak (been boyant) i thought i would've been safer!
ps. how much is it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.