Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great idea gra. I'd love to build rods for people but I'll wait till I'm a bit better. Until then I'll follow this thread with interest.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Might be a rod needer

Making rods sounds like a good idea to me. However my man skills are more suited to shovelling, pushing and levelling concrete, with a tolerance of a couple of cm. So I fear such a task would be beyond me.

Not in a position to make a request right now but might be interested in something around Christmas. Was at tackleworld today looking at some Daiwa 2-6kg rods to become my all rounder paired up with a Tierra 2500....... Would use it for flathead and bass in the summer and Moreton Bay Snapper in the Winter.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Thanks for starting the thread gra. I am toying with the idea of buying or getting built custom an ultralight spin rod. I have a few ideas but this area is all pretty new to me so don't know exactly what I want or how much it will cost. Let me know if any rod buildes are interested.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
What about upgrades, say you have a rod you love but want to upgrade the componentry, or you have some great componentry on a rod you'd like to use on another blank ?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Thanks for the sprook Salti...

Well yes I'm building rods for a few guys now, I havnt officially launched my name brand yet, but seeing that this tread has come up I'll take some pics of my work tonight and post them!

My name brand is ' Rocking Rod Works '

This is a hobbie and not a business so if I do get orders I'm happy to spend the time with someone about what they want to have, but I need to stress that I cannot work to specific time constrants as I run my own business as well. So I build at night and on weekends as time allows between family and fishing of course. However I will always try and finish a project as soon as possible.

So after you see what I do, if its something you like we can talk.
Ciao

·
Registered
214 Posts
Im abit of a novice but quite happy to build anyone a rod for cost and a tasty carton o piss deal :) currently working on two for myself but im the same as a few other builders I cant do rods on set timeframes as I work fulltime pm me for a chat if someone wants something done

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
I have a GLX Loomis blank an a SCIV St Croix blank. Back in my youth working in tackle shops i have known a few good rod builders but i am not one of them. I purchased a drying motor and built a hand turned binding support but have no real interest in building these. I would like something more visually pleasing than my standard black on black with black trim type build.

My old school style would generally be full cork grips and either silicone carbide or preferably fuji gold cermet guides as my much abused loomis imx spin rod has these and after over 12 years service without a guide failure they are i think they are the shit. After seeing the purple people eater i may consider a butt set up similar but with cork grips. I am happy to pay a premium price but want a premium finish. I have been spoilt in the past by working with good rod builders and swapping reel servicing/tuning services for rod building services. I don't want weaves or fancy butt wraps as i want to keep the weight to a minimum. I do require some basic trims and a faultless epoxy finish. If anybody is keen, let me know

·
Registered
113 Posts
Im keen to have a rod made. I find it hard to find time, kids, work, fishing. I did make rods in my teens, it was fun.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Jon,

Your snapper rods looked good.

Im a compulsive tackle collector, so its kind of a question of what rod dont I want. :shock:

A very high end bream stick maybe, a surf/rack casting rod?, snapper/jacks rod . . . .

I need to check out mudhole and do some research.

:D

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hey Jon

Dont worry about MH. Give a good mate of mine a call/email. He has started Rod Components Australia, he carries nearly everything MH do, if its not on the site send them a msg and theyll tell you if they have it or not. He orders from MH every thursday so if he dont have it hell get it.

Postage is really quick, he uses fastway, so to the office or your door. 7ft -7'6 ft blanks no probs. Like i said, big range and no problem to do a special order.

Check them out at rodcomponentsaustralia.com.au

Ciao

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey guys new around here. just getting back into my fishing after a year away. Have been thinking about building a rod myself a while and thought this post might be a good place to come to. would like to get some help off someone with a bit more experience and being a uni student saving some money but still having some nice gear is always good too. even if it was just watching someone build a rod for themselves and just picking up some tips. im in brissie so if anyone is building their own rod and wouldnt mind me looking on or even helping me out in late jan/early feb to build my own feel free to message me

·
Registered
113 Posts
Anyone here ordering from Mud Hole anytime soon? I'd like to share shipping. Im in Brunswick Heads but get to Brissy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.