Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Thought I would post a quick review of the new Prowler Elite with some first impressions, I'll add more comments as I go, and as I test her out in different conditions.

Speed
Nice and fast, much faster than the Tarpon thats for sure. She got up to speed pretty quickly and maintained a nice brisk speed with little effort. I could maintain a cruising speed which I would estimate close to the top speed of the T120 without too much effort at all, I think I could paddle all day at this nice cruising speed whereas I'd be buggered after 30 mins in the T120 maintaining the same speed.

Once I stopped paddling she had great glide charisteristics, and tracked beautifully.......no complaints here at all :)

Stability
Stable, very stable.....more stable than I expected actually, she felt rock solid on the water, I didnt get to test the limits of this stability as I had a yak full of gear. Next time I'm out I'll test its limits and add more comments then. First impressions were very good though.

Layout/Comfort
The layout is nice, the standard seat was not overly comfortable however which is something which can be easily rectified. Something with a little more and higher back support. Leg room was sufficient, I'm 6'0, and it would accomodate a slightly taller paddler than me without too much trouble. I found the Scotty mount up front was just a tad too far forward, a couple in inches closer would have been nice and made life atlot easier when grabbing rods from up front. The ride was nice and dry, dryer than the T120, with only a small amount of water in the drainage channels in the footwells at all times, not enough to cause discomfort and not noticed at all with booties on.....bum stayed dry at all times. Overall I couldnt pick a favourite as each had advantages over the other. A draw between the Prowler and the T120 this time, but I suspect with a better seat the Prowler would have taken line honours here as well.

Customising
The T120 is a great boat to fit out with plenty of options and a nice deck layout to work with, probably one of the T120's great streghths, but the Prolwer is in a class of its own in this department. The moulded in nut inserts all over the yak open up so many options, all without drilling or damaging your hull in any way. I already have ideas running around my head as to what I can do with all of the mounting points.

Manouverability
With the rudder, she turned beautifully....although without the rudder fitted its hard work turning which is to be expected of such a long yak. Rudder highly recommended

Fishability
In calm water, I dont think there is a clear winner. The Prowler would get me there faster, but the Tarpon would still get me there and fish just as well. If you only fish calm water, it would be hard to justify the extra cash for the Prowler, its also alot more effort to handle, particularly solo.
Offshore, obviously things are going to be very different, I cant wait to test her out offshore :)

Will post some pics of my fitout once its all completed in the Rigged Kayaks sections.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Great reveiw Dallas!!!!!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Oh stop it will ya Dallas :(

For god sake man your makin my mouth water :lol:

Sounds as though you have a winner there mate, cant wait to read your big water report. The mounting brackets are they just situated spasmodically about the boat for you to mount anything to ?

Good luck with the fit out man.

:D fishing Russ

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
I'll add to Dallas's post by saying she's a great looking boat also, as the pic shows from Wivenhoe Dam.

Looking on, the boat just looked secure, and when he opened her up to full bore looked great on the water

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Russ said:
The mounting brackets are they just situated spasmodically about the boat for you to mount anything to ?
Hey Russ :)

Basically, anywhere anything is fitted to the hull, including eyelets and bungees there is a moulded in nut insert underneath, as well as the ones behind the seat which are designed to take the electric motor mount, but could also be used for things like outriggers, or even mounting points for another set of rod holders or other gear.

The first thing when I got home with the new yak was to remove the deck lines, I dont see the need for them, I reckon they look ugly as well. All the deck line guides have nut inserts to which they are fitted, so the potential is there to remove the deck line guides and screw something else in there instead.

Still working out where things will go.....and how to use the inserts as much as I can.

I think I might knock up some outriggers at some stage, I'd like to be able to stand up and cast snags fishing for bass. Sometimes I cant quite get the action on the lure I like when sitting down. When heading north to some of the more southern Barra dams it would be useful to stand with outriggers, hard to 'twitch' the lures effectively sitting down.
Will be interesting how long I can stay on my feet if I manage to hook a nice Barra though!......... :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

Something like this : http://www.tribalance.com/images/slide45.jpg

·
Registered
199 Posts
HI DALLAS THAY SURE LOOK GOOD , WELL DONE
SEE YA MILAN

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
interesting to hear your compare against my yak, the T120. I agree the T120 layout and comfort is first class, but the speed,,, oh I want more speed!

will be interested to hear your offshore report, I can't imagine it would be anything less than glowing. the T120 struggles in chop with a fair amount of water coming over the front when punching into bigger chop/waves, but with the high raised bow of the elite I dont think you'll get wet at all.

any issues with the thin plastic during your wivenhoe trip?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well everything you get with the Elite is what you pay for then isn't it! :p

Troy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dallas, great report.

Hmmmm, more ebay for me I think to get extra cash. $$$$$$$$

Plan, keep the Fisherman for the wife and upgrade to a Prowler for myself.

I'm with Dodge on this one, certainly is a great looking boat 8)

I noticed how easy it glides through the water, very quick.

cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Sel :)

I was surprised no one ended up having a test paddle, offered one to Dodge but he knocked me back, so I had to take his Swing out for a paddle myself anyway :)

It was my first paddle in a Swing and I have to say it felt good, very wide but still quite fast through the water. I've never been a Swing man but after a quick paddle I have a new found appreciation for them.

There was nothing about the Prowler I didnt like, I found it hard to get comfortable at first but after mucking around with seats and rudder controls I found a nice comfortable position :)

I'm convinced I made the right choice :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dallas said:
It was my first paddle in a Swing and I have to say it felt good, very wide but still quite fast through the water. I've never been a Swing man but after a quick paddle I have a new found appreciation for them.
That guy in Anaconda, told me it was his favorite paddle in the shop. He told me he reckons best ride around.

I'll just have to have a paddle of both before I buy again.

And an offer of a paddle, if only I'd asked maybe next time, those banks at the dam were nasty. I wasn't to flash getting out of my yak let alone trying to get in and out of yours and I'd probably make a fool of myself trying.
:lol: :lol:

Cheers

·
Registered
150 Posts
Dallas - the elite only gets better when she's off shore the guy who posted about the higher, flared bow making it a dryer ride nailed it on the head. I've had mine off in the sea on regular basis - it eats 1 metre swells with chop for for breakfast.

The front slides nicely into the chop and then lifts nicely on the back part of it. The flared bow pushes the slash out nicely after cutting into it to start with. should a steap but small mave over the front those moulded rasise on the front deck push the small amounts of water away from the cockpit. As with all yaks if you get a big wave over the front your going to get wet- but it drains well as expected.

The extra lenght allows the yak to punch into the small chop instead of "bounce" like a smaller yak might. The ability will make paddling in chop significantly easier and without the loss of momentum much faster.
regards

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
Dallas said:
I was surprised no one ended up having a test paddle, offered one to Dodge but he knocked me back,
Being old and clumsy figured it was the wise choice, and quite happy to salivate over Fuego from afar; particularly as my yak buying is finished, contented with being there for the maiden voyage of a pretty boat :D.

Also want to be there when a wahoo or similar is brought ashore in the future

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
One of the best reviews I've read on akff Dallas, and there's a whole bunch of em that crack a high standard :D Could ya give us another one after a summer of hoiking em aboard, it'd be appreciated this end :D :wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts