Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After moving to Perth, my wife and I made our first short trip north on the weekend, in search of a few fish.

We kayaked out to an inshore island about 1km off the coast and were welcomed by a seal colony.

Had a tough paddle back into the 15knot north easterly blowing us south.

Check out the footage!

(tried to embed but not sure how? Anyone?)

Cheers

Louis

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Beautiful footage Louis. :)

Is there any danger from them? .... I know the guys in the eastern southern states don't like them, at least because they steal their fish. I suppose if a GWS turned up, it'd probably prefer them for a meal, rather than you. ? :eek:

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Great footage, I edited the link on your post so you can see how it was done.
That was before I saw Kens post.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Awesome experience.

I normally don't really worry about sharks but WA seems to have a bit of a rep and swimming around with a colony of seals that can escape much faster than you would even have me worried.....

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Where's Matcoburn's recent post of diving with seals? I can't find it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Congrats Louis ....Great Video of "Sea Lions' They seem so much more docile and the Australian Fur Seal down in Victoria. Thats a great Dive......gunna do that one in the next 12 months for sure.!!! Keep rollin' that camera! Post some more. Cheers Mat
Trev...

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Thanks Mat, Gotta bookmark that. Love your sense of adventure, and the soundtrack too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers Guys,

Danger.... sure, but there is always an element of danger in the ocean. The area I was diving with them was in a semi enclosed bay, so A shark would have had to come right into the shallows.

I felt a little more unnerved when I got in on the other side of the island to try and find a fish, and the seals followed me, Suddenly hovering in 6-8mtrs of water with not great visibility and feeling a lot less comfortable I moved on pretty quickly!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.