Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
That is just so good Brad, congrats on the result.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Nice job! I wonder if that would be legal on Fraser Island - I think it ticks all the boxes. (self-contained, height above ground, etc).

·
Registered
255 Posts
indiedog said:
Float, that's a beast! So an upside down 9kg bottle on the right for the fire which then puts heat/smoke into the main barrel for cooking/smoking? Is the big barrel a LPG fuel tank or just a larger gas bottle
Yep 9 kg bottle as the fire box, top cut off and a piece of 4 inch pipe shaped and welded across it to direct the heat and smoke to the cooking bottle which is an old ½ size household gas bottle and an old tail shaft as the chimney. The air inlet control is via the pivoting flap attached to another piece of 4 inch pipe welded to the base of the 9 kg bottle and there is another flap on the chimney to control the amount of smoke. In the main bottle there is a rack for cooking on and mounts to run some rails across to hang fish for smoking.

indiedog said:
You obviously do bigger parties than I do. ;-)
No just 2 teenage boys :lol:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Bertros said:
How much of your fishy catch do you reckon you end up smoking versus cooking by other means?
I have only experimented with fish smoking so far with just a few snook and trout getting the treatment.

indiedog said:
Some serious metal in that lot. How much does she weigh? Or have you got a forklift? :lol:
It's not something I carry too far. :lol: The base is only temporary and as soon as I can find some old steel wheelbarrow wheels I am going to make a trolley base.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
indiedog said:
No photo evidence but did a lamb roast with an added twist last weekend. Instead of just using heat beads I got a fire going and let it burn to coals, then added some heat beads and put the lamb on. Every now and then I'd add some chopped up hardwood shards to the top of the heat beads and let it all smoke away.

Best roast to date by far. You could really taste the smoke flavour in the meat, yum and I'll be doing this again for sure. Would like to get hold of some late season tailor to cook/smoke also so may have a need to get the yak out soon.
Get hold of some charcoal (or make your own like I do at the farm).
Much better flavor than heat beads.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Used to light a fire in my drum smoker, get it going well and once it was down to coals, turn the air off.
Or, we would just get a big fire going and then douse it with the hose.
Or just rain the fire pits after a bonfire.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Nezevic..Can you please put back your original page mate? Great design and photos that I was keen to copy...and halfway through...or are you going into commercial production!
Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.