Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two Ram mounts of the aluminium type. The smaller 1/2 inch ball mount for the Lowrance sounder and a larger mount for a saltwater rod holder. Both 'arms' and the sounder plate were showing signs of salt intrusion and build up. I suspect that the prevalence of salt water and the mix of metals (aluminium and stainless steel) have contributed to the deterioration which has occurred over the last three years. Anyway i decided to strip back the deteriorating paint and salt encrusted aluminium and to repaint the gear.

Fitted some brass abrasive thingies to my drill and gave it a go. Pitty that i did not even think of taking a before short. Stripped most of the paint quite easily as the salt had intruded beneath the paint in many places. Much of the original paint was peeling off the arms. The metal underneath had the white build up of salt-like substance. Took some sandpaper to it as well and removed any crud to the metal.

Used a spray on metal primer and then top coated with metal finish in black. The final results are looking good and are drying off as i type. I suppose that i will have to remove the actual ball mounts and give them a clean up as well. Easy as.

I am thinking of using Innox as a coating on the metals to help reduce the corrosive/electrolytic process. Don't know if this will work but will give it a go. In future I am thinking of only using plastic mounts in order to avoid what has plagued me to date. Oh yeah. I used to wash this gear in fresh and warm water pretty regularly. I'll still do this but will also add the lanolin wipe over.

Anyone else had the same issues?

cheers

rob

·
Registered
206 Posts
Inox will work for sure however you have to clean it with wax & grease remover before you go painting. I know a fella here on the GC with a Rat Rod and the panels on it are near steel - he just oils the exterior of the car with inox MX3 oil and that'll do for another 6 months. Looks awesome!

If your priming and spraying I would suggest the Killrust range of sprays (or Pascol if you want to save $1) - as being a 1 part epoxy paint they will adhere to most metals, however you have to key the surface enough. You will find that most manufacturers powdercoat their metal frames enough to last the warranty then like yours 'poof' it starts to fall apart.

Anyhow good job!

G

·
If you wanted to have them re-powder coated its not expensive. I had a cargo barrier done last week for $50.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Every metal RAM mount I have owned has gone the same way even the bits without stainless. I think it is probably a grade of aluminium that casts well but is not corrossion resistant. They should just anodise them.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Slazmo, nad97 and avayak. Appreciate the feedback and advice.

I'll use innox as a coating over the paint and for wash and clean up.

cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.