Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Barrabundy said:
I'm obviously not a coffee fiend because I've never heard of one. Is it a type of coffee or a type of coffee machine?
Its a portable coffee press
bit like a french press/plunger but it plunges straight into the cup as best I can make out

heard good things elsewhere but interested in some real first hand experiences before I buy one

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
short answer yes.
ticks lots of boxes.
simple.
sturdy.
nice coffee if done right,
better than plunger,

long answer......... some questions for you...
what sort of coffee are you after, what are you currently drinking, what do you want to spend.???
do you have a grinder?
budget?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Have one and love it, once you get your brew method down they're pretty good. I'd also get a steel filter insert thing so you don't need to keep smingey paper filters hanging about.

Leads to purchasing herb grinders, special beans, scales and all sorts of paraphernalia. :)

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
grinder....
http://www.hariogear.com.au/index.php?m ... cts_id=115

also..just to make it harder to decide have a serious look @ a handpresso.. for not too much more $
http://www.handpresso.com/produit-1-17- ... ybrid.html

i bought one for a mates bday, wish id got one as well.
its a more complex process than the aeropress but the results can be amazing, like $1000 machine kind of amazing.

blahger said:
I'd also get a steel filter insert thing so you don't need to keep smingey paper filters hanging about.
agree.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TheFishinMusician said:
long answer......... some questions for you...
what sort of coffee are you after, what are you currently drinking, what do you want to spend.???
I was mainly looking at it from an "out fishing" perspective
I like my esporessos (after several weeks in Italy over the last few years you have to love espresso)
but would be happy with a near enough to the real thing out in the wilds
especially if I can use a thermos for the water and not have to fart about with stoves etc

If it also works at home easily ("and cleans easily" Mrs Anselmo reminds me) so much the better
currently we have a nespresso machine, a bialetti stove top espresso machine, a electric giant bialetti cappucino machine and a french press

TheFishinMusician said:
do you have a grinder?
yes

TheFishinMusician said:
depends
less is best (obviously)
we don't have budget for a professional standard machine otherwise it would be bought already and I'd be bouncing off the ceilings at 2am
so probably a good thing ;-)

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nezevic said:
Destructions given to me by the girl at work...

Peel the red beans and place the gooey greenish yellow beans in a container of water.
Keep the gooey beans in water for 3-5 days, changing the water daily.
Drain the beans and spread out evenly on a tray to dry. Either in the sun or very slowly in the oven.
When the beans are a more yellow colour and dry they can be peeled.
There will be a small very green hard bean inside usually covered by a husky type parchment. This can be removed as if it is left on during roasting, it can make the coffee a bit bitter.
The dry green beans can be kept in a cool dry place for ages. Best to roast them as needed as the beans are nicest consumed when freshly roasted.

I believe as a hand processing venture it is going to be a labour intensive process.
cool
will be interested to see this unfold

·
Registered
293 Posts
nezevic said:
Destructions given to me by the girl at work...

Peel the red beans and place the gooey greenish yellow beans in a container of water.
Keep the gooey beans in water for 3-5 days, changing the water daily.
Drain the beans and spread out evenly on a tray to dry. Either in the sun or very slowly in the oven.
When the beans are a more yellow colour and dry they can be peeled.
There will be a small very green hard bean inside usually covered by a husky type parchment. This can be removed as if it is left on during roasting, it can make the coffee a bit bitter.
The dry green beans can be kept in a cool dry place for ages. Best to roast them as needed as the beans are nicest consumed when freshly roasted.

I believe as a hand processing venture it is going to be a labour intensive process.
Alternate method.
Step 1- Get a civet
Step 2 - Feed beans to civet
Step 3 - Collect civet poop
Step 4 - Lick beans clean of civet poo (if anyone knows a better way, let me know)
Step 5 - Roast Beans
Enjoy

I brought a heap of weasel shit coffee back from Vietnam last month, tastes great, but not cheap.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
anselmo said:
I was mainly looking at it from an "out fishing" perspective
I like my esporessos (after several weeks in Italy over the last few years you have to love espresso)
but would be happy with a near enough to the real thing out in the wilds
especially if I can use a thermos for the water and not have to fart about with stoves etc

If it also works at home easily ("and cleans easily" Mrs Anselmo reminds me) so much the better
currently we have a nespresso machine, a bialetti stove top espresso machine, a electric giant bialetti cappucino machine and a french press
cool.
Perfect for out in the wild. The thermos would be ok for the aeropress but prob not the handpresso. if youre trying to extract espresso, temp becomes a major factor, & if i went the handpresso route i know id be trying to get the most out of it which would involve boiling water onsite.
cleans easy.
1 tick for the aeropress.

anselmo said:
TheFishinMusician wrote:do you have a grinder?

yes
sorry, should have defined "grinder" better. :)
will it grind to espersso? ie not a 2 blade herb & spice grinder. ok-ish for aeropress, not handpresso.

anselmo said:
currently we have a nespresso machine,
the "wild" version of the handpresso can use "ese"pods ( not sure if their the same as the nespresso ones tho)
1/2 a tick the other way & less mess, so another 1/2 tick

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.