Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

So I'm finally going to hit the road! I've got some time off from uni, and my girlfriend has some spare time too. We're planning to spend a month and a half travelling around Queensland, and hoping to make it all the way to the cape... and this is where you guys come in.

I'm looking for what you locals... and even more experienced travelers think the best places to visit are? Both for fishing (from the yak), and just generally beautiful and fun places. We will have a 4wd and prefer to do things 'on the cheap' as best we can. I'm considering some sort of barra tour... where's the best place to do this for a day?

Cheers guys,

Pat

·
Registered
465 Posts
Fraser Island......Rainbow Beach / Double Island Point..... awesome areas! Hervey Bay.... I'd throw in a trip with Fraser Guided Fishing..... and have a ball ;)

Such a beautiful place...... wherever you go, I am sure you'll enjoy it! Still a bit cool in SEQ.... but way warmer than the 'Bra!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey mate,
Sounds like you re up for a good trip. I ll definitely stop at 1770 and Midge point (just under Airlie beach) And there s some good reef north of Bowen. Otherwise the Hintchinbrook channel off Cardwell is supposed to be good but I never actually got the yak up there. Best way to save the dollar is to sleep in the car I guess.
I really enjoyed dropping by Magnetic Island off townsville but I am sure you ll find a place somewhere that you ll love !
Cheers

Boris

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Just be mindful of the wildlife as you head further north if you intend kayaking. Sorry, couldn't let the opportunity pass and say nothing. Not saying don't do it, just be aware, do some research maybe.

·
Registered
526 Posts
There isn't a great deal of fishing, but if you get the chance get into Carnarvon gorge. Its cold at night now but the facilities at Takkarakka are A1 and the place is amazing. The cool weather makes the walks much more pleasant as well.
Severn river is also a great spot to try for cod from now on. Again its cold, but New England is a pretty spot, not quite Queensland, but a definite option on your way up or back.
The inland route is generally less busy, with some great little towns (pubs) to visit along the way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.