Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow fisho's.

Well ive been hanging to get out the front and use my new snapper stick but the winds up the coast have put that on hold for the time being. Got in contact with trev 'kayakone' friday night and we made the call to chase flathead in the passage and up coochin creek. Glad we did. We had the place basically all to our self. Apart from about 5 other stinkys, one coast guard boat and some very strange exploding sounds. Possibly gunshots or possibly coming from trevs drypants im still not sure.

The first fish came yakside at about 8:00 after being on the water for about an hour without a touch. I was starting to doubt our luck but it was a nice little 43 so straight into the slurry bag he goes.

Caught a few more small fish while working one bank while trev had a couple of drifts along a weed bed for only a couple of bumps.

We decided to stop for a bite to eat ourselves and when heading to an exposed bank I got a big hit and run which took a couple of meters of line off the stradic 1000 before spitting my gulp fish treat. Unlucky, this thing felt heavy. continued to fish the same area but no more hook ups only a few more small hits leaving the curly tails wrapped around the barbs.
A quick lunch, a long chat and a few more suspicious explosions and we were off to coochin creek.

Not much action along the way but when we got to a particular spot I got another 43 and trev got his first flatty in 12 months apparently and the look on his face says it all.

Glad trev finally got a fish because he was starting to whinge about getting his "fishing tour" money back. Haha.
A couple more undersized fish and I had to call it a day. On the way back trev noticed one of his koolies wasn't swimming properly so it came in and so did trevs second fish of the day. A stonker 11cm bream on a 9 cm koolie. Haha classic..

All up caught 9 flathead including the small ones and kept three for a feed, So an average day fish wise (no real big fish) but great day on the water.

Cheers.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Looks like great conditions and nice and peaceful to go with a few fish. I wish I was well enough to join you both but best for all I didn't. I'm loving the bream, must be a cracker spot when the fish are that keen.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
captaincoochin said:

Glad trev finally got a fish because he was starting to whinge about getting his "fishing tour" money back. Haha.
A couple more undersized fish and I had to call it a day. On the way back trev noticed one of his koolies wasn't swimming properly so it came in and so did trevs second fish of the day. A stonker 11cm bream on a 9 cm koolie. Haha classic..

All up caught 9 flathead including the small ones and kept three for a feed, So an average day fish wise (no real big fish) but great day on the water.

Cheers.
First of all, let us set the record straight. The 'tour brochure' said:

'Fish guaranteed'

'No snags'

In the first four hours, the Captain caught 3 keepers, and four undersized flatties. I caught none, despite being basically beside him, and using the same coloured SP. I was beginning to doubt the claims of this commercial operation, but I was there for with the Captain himself (I should have tweaked that this was a sham). Worse was yet to come. While trolling SP's across the bottom on an incoming tide, the Captain had a massive hit, which he thankfully missed. On the sandbank, for a leg stretch and food, he offered the same SP (the 'gun lure') he had huge success with. Well results were now assured, and I was in a better frame of mind, being confident of success. It wasn't to be.

Ten minutes later I was snagged, and lost the 'gun lure.' It was then that I remembered the brochure, and the frequent re-assurances "there are no snags." It wasn't to be. The brochure was crap. I re-rigged with the same lure out of my arsenal, albeit a different colour. Three snags later I was now assured the brochure was crap.

Finally! Success! One at 44 cm. Talk about 'finesse fishing'. Three or four 'taps', then a bit of pressure, then a 44 cm flatchap in the net. Absolutely brilliant, for 6 hours fishing, and exorbitant fishing tour fees. :( Calculating hourly rate......

...about $ 300/kg for one flathead. ('captaincoochin's dodgy flattie tours').

We caught nothing else except the monster bream (eat your heart out Ado). :)

Thanks Tristan for the finesse fishing lessons. I'll be back, when they let me out of the nursing home again. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trev im not sure where you picked up the brochure but if it told you there are no snags in the passage its on drugs. As for hourly rate, at least you got a keeper. Yeah stop protesting, we'll go out the front next time and it will be the other way round. If they let you out again soon..

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
captaincoochin said:
Trev im not sure where you picked up the brochure but if it told you there are no snags in the passage its on drugs. As for hourly rate, at least you got a keeper. Yeah stop protesting, we'll go out the front next time and it will be the other way round. If they let you out again soon..
Sorry Tristan. You are correct about the 'no snags'. I just re-read the glossy brochure, and it does say 'sausage sizzle' NOT provided....BYO lunch.

:lol:

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
captaincoochin said:
Possibly gunshots or possibly coming from trevs drypants im still not sure.
If the latter, he needs to check out www.myshreddies.com

kayakone said:

'Fish guaranteed'

Finally! Success! One at 44 cm.
Fish guaranteed AND you caught one
What's the beef? ;-)

·
Registered
273 Posts
eh capitano. nice work on the flat-outs, always a great feed
and always dig those passage trips,
been hitting up the area lately aswell,
i'd be up for one a them capitano not "too" dodgey flatty trips next time.

trev, glad to hear you landed a legal lizard,
and that killer brimbo,
scarbie been quiet for snaps lately for me and for others I've read
so been xploring the passage bit more, what an awesome stretch
of water.
be good to hook up for a sesh
wayno

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hahah shreddies lol.
Trev easy mistake mate.
Ill drop you a pm next time wayne.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Funchy said:
Well done fellas!

The "gunshots" probably came from the prawn farm i think. Goes off every 20 mins or so to scare off various forms of poachers :)
Can you hear them from golden beach because the start pretty early.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
anselmo said:
kayakone said:

'Fish guaranteed....'

Finally! Success! One at 44 cm.
Fish guaranteed AND you caught one
What's the beef? ;-)
There was no beef Nick - you had to BYO lunch, Hence 'no snags'. :lol:

Yeah sure, I caught one fish, in 9 hours, in the 9th hour, while Dodgy Captaincoochin caught nine flatties in that time. You'd do better on your own with a stick of dynamite!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There is a dirt boat ramp at the beginning of roys road. Just after coochin creek day use area which puts you straight into coochin. Otherwise there is concrete ramp at the end of roys road which I prefer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.